Technical 2.5 ducato starter motor

Currently reading:
Technical 2.5 ducato starter motor

hymerlou

i have a 1993 2.5 ducato based hymer motorhome, just recently i have had starting problems sometimes nothing happens when trying to start sometimes it clicks sometimes it starts to spin over then stops suddenly sometimes it starts first go. it always starts eventually as though nothing wrong. have cleaned all connections to starter motor checked battery ok even charged it overnight to eliminate battery problem.
is there any way of checking the starter motor out?
are there any parts to replace internally?
any ideas on cost of a new one?
Any help much appreciated Thanks:confused:

i have a 1993 2.5 ducato based hymer motorhome, just recently i have had starting problems sometimes nothing happens when trying to start sometimes it clicks sometimes it starts to spin over then stops suddenly sometimes it starts first go. it always starts eventually as though nothing wrong. have cleaned all connections to starter motor checked battery ok even charged it overnight to eliminate battery problem.
is there any way of checking the starter motor out?
are there any parts to replace internally?
any ideas on cost of a new one?
Any help much appreciated Thanks:confused:

When you turn the key the solenoid should click loudly throwing the pinion forward and stay engaged. If you still have no whirring at times the brushes and/or commutator may be worn out or the solenoid is weak or stuck or the solenoid contacts are bad.

The solenoid pulls a lever to throw the bendix out if the pinion or lever are stiff
the solenoid may fail to engage the contacts to turn the motor.

The shaft is probably dry / rusty / covered in years of crap it needs to be very clean and lubricated with silicone. Oil and common grease will gum up quickly. Also check that the shift lever is operating smoothly.

Theres a comprehensive guide to other problems here:
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/starter.htm

With regard to replacement you should be able to get a used one on ebay for £40-£50 a new one for £80-£120. A new replacement starter will probably be half the size of the old one. For overhaul the cost may be anything from £30 to £75 depending on what work is done.

I think the starter form any 2.5 or 2.8 will fit though if yours is non turbo you may need the adapter plate from the newer engine. Bring yours along if you're going to a scrappie or shop.

Last edited:
The starter was replaced 3 years 10000 miles ago surely should last longer than this. when i removed it it was clean no rust on shaft and operated ok on the bench. the small spade connector on the top was a very loose fit so i put a new connector on and cleaned the contacts but the problem remained.
Will have a rest and tackle it again soon

The starter was replaced 3 years 10000 miles ago surely should last longer than this. when i removed it it was clean no rust on shaft and operated ok on the bench. the small spade connector on the top was a very loose fit so i put a new connector on and cleaned the contacts but the problem remained.
Will have a rest and tackle it again soon

Should definitely last more than 3 years, check the earth strap then its often at fault.

If you don't have a multimeter you can check for a problem with the wiring to the solenoid by putting a bulb onto the wire you should be able to see flickering / low light level to indicate a bad connection in the wiring or ignition. Get someone to hold/wiggle the key in start position while you give the loom a pull/shake.

Last edited:
Have replaced starter motor with a haevy duty (2.7kw motor) one hope this sorts the problem cost £134 delivered Thanks to all for help

Back