General punto mk1 cabriolet intermitent problem with heater blower -wipers and electric roof

Currently reading:
General punto mk1 cabriolet intermitent problem with heater blower -wipers and electric roof

ray2kc

HI can anyone please help, My wife has a Punto cabriolet mk1, 1600 it has developed an intermittent problem with the heater blower, windscreen wipers and the electric roof. if one works they all work and vice versa. leaving the blower powered on it comes on and goes off willy nilly doesn't seem to be any type of pattern to it except it does seem to run for shorter periods after a few times on and off, down to even 3 or 4 seconds at a time,
it then can take anything from say 60 seconds to the next day before it starts again.
I hope this makes sense to you all as it has got me totally confused.
Please please Help!!!!!!!!!.:bang:

Hi, did you get this sorted? Exactly the same issues with a 1.2 ELX.

the OP hasnt been on the forum since 2 days after posting this nearly a decade ago, not likely to get an answer to that i'm afraid.

theres wiring diagrams in the downloads section, heres a direct link https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=504

They must share an earth or something, should be reasonably easy to trace the fault with the diagrams ;)

the OP hasnt been on the forum since 2 days after posting this nearly a decade ago, not likely to get an answer to that i'm afraid.

theres wiring diagrams in the downloads section, heres a direct link https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=504

They must share an earth or something, should be reasonably easy to trace the fault with the diagrams ;)

Yes, I guessed as much, but thought I would give it a try anyway :)

Thanks for the links to the wiring diagrams. I had found a set but there was disagreement on the set I found to which fuse went where, so it didn't seem trustworthy. This will help.

I think part of the problem will be that it was Bertone that made the cabbies not fiat themselves, so I don't think any of the official diagrams will cover the cabbie properly if at all. But the wiring should be very similar to a normal ELX - thus if you can find something on the ELX diagram that could stop both the wiper and blowers working thats gonna be where to start looking. What year is yours?

edit: had a look through them diagrams i linked, nothing for cabriolets there... :( but i guess if you trace the earths for the bits other than the roof that are playing up it might point you to some earths to check and clean up. :shrug:

Last edited:
but i guess if you trace the earths for the bits other than the roof that are playing up it might point you to some earths to check and clean up. :shrug:

That was my thinking. So I removed the earths on the kick panels on both sides. One was pristine, one was good but I scuffed them up good before replacing. Also removed the battery and battery tray to get at the one underneath. Didn't look bad but I cleaned it up anyway. No go - these are earths associated with blower and wipers (well two of them are) according to the wiring diagram and also my newly acquired Haynes manual (yeah, I know...) and they are surely making good contact now. Presumably this rules out earth issues.

Got a 12v tester on the fuse contacts for blower and wipers and there is no power there. I'm guessing next step would be to take out the fuse box :eek: and check for continuity. I'm not 100% sure what I am doing however. Roof I am not particularly bothered about this time of year, but blower and wipers are a must.

I've really appreciated your responses, thanks :)

The car in question - hopefully I can link a pic now :)

5XmQrFtt

Edit: No I can't :(

In theory the roof should not in any way be influenced or affected by the blower and the wipers as it has its own circuit with a 40amp fuse. You will find the fuse in the engine compartment under the black cover on the bulkhead, just in front of the ignition and fuel pump relays.
The wiring on my Cabrio will be different from yours as mine is an early 1.6, but the Porter manual does include a better selection of wiring diagrams than the Haynes manual. I have had an intermittent wiring fault on mine recently, which I traced to a poor connection on the fusebox. Good luck.

Sorry, just realised yours is a 1.6 too, in which case there is a full wiring diagram in the Porter manual!

Unfortunately not, it,s a 1998 1.2 16v. I did find a wiring diagram once though but I can't for the life of me find it again, but your comment tends to suggest that what I found might not be relevant to my model :(

I was sort of pinning my hopes and dreams that there was a wiring fault in the roof loom which was now spread to the blower/wipers loom, in the same location - i.e find one and find them all. The roof has been dicky for years but the blower/wipers only recently. Grasping at straws really.

Had the car since nearly new, so 20 years in my ownership. Nowadays it's not a daily driver and spends most of its life in the garage, maybe doing a few hundred miles a year.

I don't have any practical experience in this sort of thing, I might need to get a grownup to look into it.

Last edited:
well you have made a good start diagnosing. you just need to follow it back from the fusebox. Not having proper wiring diagrams makes this much much harder though, I'd put my effort now into finding a diagram, without it its very hard to trace faults, you kinda need to know where wires are meant to go to test them easily. Failing that it maybe time to throw in the towel and get an auto-electrician to look at it, does sound like its just gonna be a bad connection or broken wire somewhere. I've never been a wiring wizard but i can work my way through if i have diagrams.

And wow, can't be many mk1 puntos that have the same owner from new!!

Perhaps these may help:

Attachments

• wiring key1.pdf
    670.6 KB · Views: 54
  • wiring key2.pdf
    533.3 KB · Views: 25
  • wiring 1.pdf
    448.5 KB · Views: 23
  • wiring 2.pdf
    494.4 KB · Views: 33
  • wiring 3.pdf
    530 KB · Views: 32
Thank you both for your help. That said, I have admitted defeat recognised my own limitations and have booked it in with an auto sparks on Monday.

If I get any clarification of the fault, I will share :)

Well, it came back from the Sparks all happy. Like me they struggled to find a schematic but I provided them with the ones I had, and which you folks provided and they found the fault quite quickly. They told me it was a relay behind the fusebox which according to the Haynes schematic can only be the no 100, Ignition Discharge Relay:

Hopefully you can see the linked image above, I've not been able to post images as I am too newb.

So, a bit of labour and a £15 relay later, everything works again, including the roof :cool:. Thanks very much for your help :)

Back