04_19_10_001_edited-1.jpg

RenaultSport Clio 182 Trophy 243/500

Introduction

I've had my RS Clio Trophy now for about 6 months, but today was first time I got round to taking some pictures as it's still clean from the RS meet at Gaydon yesterday.

For those who don't know about the Trophy it was the run out model for the 182 and in celebration to the success of the RS Clio products it was fettled to produce a very raw and incisive drivers car.

It lost the automatic HID headlamps and automatic wipers of the normal Clio 182, getting the normal headlamps (saving 10kgs) and manual wipers. Lost the rear split fold half leather/alcantara rear bench with 3 headrests to match the standard RS fronts, but gained Recaro Trendline front seats and a base 'Campus' spec one piece rear bench with no headrests.

It also lost the full climate control to be replaced with manual air-con again saving some weight.

16" Speedline Corse Turini's were fitted with 205/45 Michelin Pilot Exalto (PE2) which depending on where you read were developed specifically for the Trophy, or the Trophy was a bench mark car used by Michelin to develop the tyre along with the Porsche GT3 of the time among others.

And this is where it really differs from other Clio's and in fact most, if not all hot hatches. It was fitted with Sachs Motorsport remote reservoir front dampers costing some £1300 each from Renault. These have much thicker damper rods meaning less flex under heavy braking keep geometry more true at front. In fact the rods and many components were exactly the same as used by Jason Plato and Mat Turner in there 2008 Seat Leon TDi BTTC cars and being motorsport dampers are rebuildable, which mine have been done by BG Motorsport @Silverstone by Ben Fricker the damper technician for the BTTC cars. They are once 'un-pinned' fully adjustable as Renault had them pinned to one setting. Rears are Sachs units but standard damper design and not adjustable. Eibach springs finish it off. Jean Ragnotti signed off the car after its development work.

There was 550 made, 500 for UK market and 50 for Swiss market mine being number 243 of the 500 UK models. And were only available in 'Capsicum' red.

I've added a few items to my car, the standard HU is base spec 4x22W, now it's the 'Cabasse' 4x40W unit fitted to 182's, it sounds way better. The parcel shelf is a genuine Renault accessory with inbuilt 2x6" full range and 2x tweeters and strengthened to take the extra weight meaning the car has 10speakers if you count 4 tweeters separately. the front splitter has been changed for a Streamline Carbon item, the fog lamps surrounds are from them as well. The front and rear diamonds have been covered in genuine 4twill carbon fibre and gloss lacquered, as have the dash and steering wheel inserts, plus the front washer blanks where HID equipped cars have headlamp washers fitted. Rear bench changed to split fold leather alcantara from 182. Gear-knob is Richbrook which is near identical to Swiss market Trophy's UK models got standard knob.

04_19_10_001_edited-1.jpg

04_19_10_003_edited-1.jpg

04_19_10_004_edited-1.jpg

04_19_10_017_edited-1.jpg

04_19_10_014_edited-1.jpg
Rather clean :eek:
looks loads better with a bit of sun on it hey! :cool:

Loads of mods you forgot to mention..

top mounts, engine mounts, exhaust hanger, steering wheel, flocking... shall i go on :p

very nice as usual Mr Kerr.
Dash is horrible tbh but jamie mentioned flocking?? seems to be a common mod of yours, i'd love a flocked dash but can't be bothered to take dash out of the car to do so, i have always broken something when removing dashes..

So did the Celica go to make way for this then or is it stil around?

The Celica GT4 made way for the Clio. Dash will not be flocked as it has a passenger airbag & don't like idea of being on an accident & an explosive device going off under a dashboard covered in adhesive & flock. Though have toyed with getting the binnacle covered in leather with red stiching to match the steering wheel & gearstick gaitor.

It alway perplexes me when folk say they dislike items like dashs etc in cars. It's there purely to house instruments to inform you what's heppening. I spend my time driving looking out my windows and checking my gauges which are very visable. Unlike many cars with badly posioned or over designed layouts.

Some dashes look nice but perfom very poorly which is henious in my mind.

The dash in the Clio is very well thought out as top section removes in less than 20mins as it has to come off to get to passenger side airbag or to change dash lights. The Celica dash was also very easy to change, again really well thought out with multiplugs in each corner in foot well which meant dash with loom all came out together, excellent design. The Cinq was bloody aweful, no multiplugs, screws hidden in weird places, horrible job taking it out and putting back in.

Last edited:
I just meant it looks a bit cheap really but i totally agree, its function is more important than its form, its just a bit too grey for me. I think if it was just a shade darker grey it'd look better but i'm nit-picking on what is genuinely a very nice car :eek: Bit of matching grey leather and red stitching would look cool but i'm sure i'd find lots of other stuff i'd rather do before i got to that

I understand what you are saying Chris, and in many ways agree, the Trophy did away with all the nice stuff and everything is pretty much Campus Spec, but you gain the Speedlines, the Sachs and Recaro's. Though it's soft to touch, no scratchy plastics, and consequently doesn't reflect the sun onto the windscreen like many darker dashes can.

The new Clio 200 really is vastly improved quality wise compared to mine, it is after all car that first came out in 1999, and the dash dates from the facelift in 2002 IIRC, so designs have moved on somewhat.

I think having owned the GT4, which to me it had the perfect layout, and using Emma's FTO I like the simplistic, Japanese approach to car dash boards that are driver focused. To many, they will seem bland as everything is black, and I did get the dash flocked as a little too reflective for my liking.

Whereas I find for example the Fiat 500 dash to be poor in having an over designed dash display that reflects sun badly making it hard to see the strange (compared to any other car) dials. Yet many folk will love it for being different and having the shiney plastic body coloured strip on it.

On the Trofeo race cars this is a big complaint and many use aftermarket dashpods velro'd behind steering wheel in front of original dials so they can see what's going on.

One driver even asked for the binnacle to removed completely as it obstructed his view :)

Ah well, it's all good to be different :D

Look at all that weight saving you could make taking the speakers out... and the rear seats!

True, supposedly loosing the HID headlamps saves 10kgs with no only the extra weight in headlamps, but the pumps for the headlamp washers and then the weight of water in reservoir, all of which is way out in front of the front axle line, and then losing climate control saves a further 10kgs.

I have to confess, I did add the slightly heavier 2 piece, 3 adjustable headrest, half leather 182 rear seat, removing the lighter single piece no headrest 'Campus' bench they come with.

Kerb weight is listed as 1070kgs, which is not much more than the listed 1035kgs for a 500Abarth which many consider small.

If I was tracking it then yes, or even better start off in a 172Cup at only 1011kgs, take rear seats out and carpets and you are already well under 1000kgs.

Though makes the old R5GTT at 893kgs seem like a feather weight!

Last edited:
Wow that seems very heavy for the age of car when the Clio meets Euro Ncap 5 star rating so has to carry all the rubbish that brings.

The new Clio 200 weighs is considerably bigger than the old 172/182 and is thought of as heavy at 1205kgs.

Even my Integrale is 1300kgs as were most of the group a homologation rally cars carrying all the 4WD hardware.

Really surprised me the weight of the Tipo.

just think of all the weight saving renault and yourself have done taking 10kgs off the climate control, this that and the other, but as soon as you do the shopping/kids un etc all that hard effort and work has been lost...
i do like tho very very nice!

Lets be honest if your bothered about weight you'd just buy a Caterham or a proper french hatch like a 205 .. ;)

As for the family car comment i'll let you know how it works out although I have a feeling I might need a bigger boot :(

P.s the trophy has Air con but it's not climate control so not that big a deal..

I think having owned the GT4, which to me it had the perfect layout, and using Emma's FTO I like the simplistic, Japanese approach to car dash boards that are driver focused. To many, they will seem bland as everything is black, and I did get the dash flocked as a little too reflective for my liking.

Whereas I find for example the Fiat 500 dash to be poor in having an over designed dash display that reflects sun badly making it hard to see the strange (compared to any other car) dials. Yet many folk will love it for being different and having the shiney plastic body coloured strip on it.

tbh, i think my fave dash was my mums old nissan 200sx (s13 it was but think dash remained pretty much the same for the s14) which when it was new was widely reported as being the worst part of the car, bland and boring. But everything was right where you wanted it and the clocks are awesome for a late 80's car, very clean, clear and simple with huge tacho. A car i would really like to own but not seen a clean unmolested one for years, much like my desire for a manta gte hatchback :(

Back