DOC cover on fully comp policies for under 25's

Currently reading:
DOC cover on fully comp policies for under 25's

Just wondering if anyone knows of any insurance companies that offer DOC for under 25's on fully comp policies as not many do.

Quinn do, but looks like I'm unable to renew with them due to their current status, Im also aware that NFU do.

Have been told that Ariva do it for over 21's, is there any other companys at all as I ideally need this on my policy when I renew next month.

Jon.

Driving other cars - we have it on an AViva policy and also a Tesco policy - but we are both ancient. It's just 3rd party though.

Thanks confirming that Alan. Yeah only 3rd party that I'm looking for, just seems that my car is the one mum pinches when hers goes wrong or what not and then I need to be covered if I need to pinch dad or sisters car.

Would it be possible to check your policy document if you have it to hand and see what it says about DOC, if it has an age limit?

Not to worry if not though. (y)

Jon.

Last edited:
as JaneP1 says it doesn't give an age bracket, it's just on the documents as being included. Whether it's something they just put on for us Togs don't know. The other car also has to be owned by someone else.

Aviva I think is 25 in a policy document. Saying that I can find no mention of DOC on my policy- I'll check again later and might phone if I can't find anything.

if the car is worth something then I'd agree, using DOC would be a real emergency hardly ever used measure, but my old ZX is almost worthless, if it was totalled it really doesn't matter. As the prospective Mrs SurreyAlan has had a couple of prangs in her own car in the last few years adding her to insurance does cost. As I don't care if she prangs the ZX she can use the DOC on her Aviva policy to drive it. Makes sense for us.

Why aren't you a named driver on their policies?

Using DOC should only be used as an emergency, IMO.

Cost, why get named on 3 other policies when I can be covered by mine?

Equally the risk is then under my name and not Mums / Dads / Sisters if I smack their car's up, meaning they're NCB etc isn't affected, only mine.

if the car is worth something then I'd agree, using DOC would be a real emergency hardly ever used measure, but my old ZX is almost worthless, if it was totalled it really doesn't matter. As the prospective Mrs SurreyAlan has had a couple of prangs in her own car in the last few years adding her to insurance does cost. As I don't care if she prangs the ZX she can use the DOC on her Aviva policy to drive it. Makes sense for us.

:yeahthat:

Last edited:
Cost, why get named on 3 other policies when I can be covered by mine?

Equally the risk is then under my name and not Mums / Dads / Sisters if I smack their car's up, meaning they're NCB etc isn't affected, only mine.

Are you sure your Mum/Dad/Sister wouldn't mind if you pranged their car. I'd go mental if my sister smashed mine!!

Also you do realise that you'll end up having to buy them a new car as your policy only covers third parties, ie who you hit, not what you're driving.

Are you sure your Mum/Dad/Sister wouldn't mind if you pranged their car. I'd go mental if my sister smashed mine!!

Also you do realise that you'll end up having to buy them a new car as your policy only covers third parties, ie who you hit, not what you're driving.
Indeed - I wouldn't allow it to be honest.

What additional costs would it be to add yourself as a named driver on their policies.

I'm fully aware that its only 3rd party cover. None of their cars are worth more than £2k though. I either repair or replace their car

Ultimatly its a risk I'm willing to take as well as a risk that I can afford if I do smack one of their cars up.

I would like DOC on mine... as said above its good for once in a while or emergency use. I sort all the car repairs out for the family- its really annoying making them follow me to the garage then give them a lift back then repeat it when the car is ready. rather just drive their car there.

I thought Quinn offered this? I use it all the time!

Edit: Holy epic, just read into it further more on their website....

• The vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to you/them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
  • You currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
  • The use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of insurance;
  • Cover is not provided by any other insurance;
  • You have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
  • The vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
  • You still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair; and
  • Your occupation is not restricted by our acceptance criteria.
  • You must be 25 years of age. Age is based on your age at the inception/renewal date of your policy.
:eek: oops

Last edited:
I'm fully aware that its only 3rd party cover. None of their cars are worth more than £2k though. I either repair or replace their car

Ultimatly its a risk I'm willing to take as well as a risk that I can afford if I do smack one of their cars up.

That's OK then. Didn't mean to teach you suck eggs, just didn't want you having to fork out £5-10K for your Dad's car! (y)

Last edited:
Back