Technical Mpg Q

Currently reading:
Technical Mpg Q

vyrusjames

Right I have a 1.3 diesel and it is averaging 35-40mpg overall. That is mostly town driving but with a couple of 50-60 mile runs. I took it to the dealer and he said it should be averaging at LEAST 50 mpg. Firstly does that sound right? He said it probably needs a full service, change of filters etc and it should be fine. Now before people say I am ragging it, for town driving the revs never go over 2.5k. My old '02 plate punto was better on fuel economy.

Thanks,
James

Hi,

You are in the cooler end of the year which will lower your mpg, also you do say that most of your driving is 'mostly town driving'.

It's the town driving that's lowering your mpg, my Panda suffers around town, but loves cruising on the motorways (y)

Around town and country lanes you will be accelerating frequently which is what does the damage.

Trev

A lot of my driving is around town too and I'm getting about 38/39mpg in my 1.9MJ...

Id of said 38/39mpg seems ok to me, most people i know with diesel cars are on around 36mpg mark whenever i see there read outs.... and the numbers advertised in brochures etc are usually WAY off!

Last edited:
All of my driving is town driving and I'm averaging (so it says on the screen) 29mpg.... I Have a 1.4 16v sporting. Im always changing gear at about 3000rpm as if i change at 2k-2.5k the performance is just sluggish.

Anything i can do to get better mpg and still have a little bit of performance, as I did'nt blow all of my money on getting a sporting to get crap mpg and crap performance...

All of my driving is town driving and I'm averaging (so it says on the screen) 29mpg.... I Have a 1.4 16v sporting. Im always changing gear at about 3000rpm as if i change at 2k-2.5k the performance is just sluggish.

Anything i can do to get better mpg and still have a little bit of performance, as I did'nt blow all of my money on getting a sporting to get crap mpg and crap performance...

ive got the 1.4 16v in my car now (GP series2) and the perfomance is shocking :( you gotta get thhe revs high to move quick.... 4k for the vvt to kick inn :(... but i still average around 37.5mpg

My commute to work is constant stop start and accelarate. I get around 34mpg with that, yesterday i did a trip out and quite easily hit 52.8mpg, mines a 1.9 m-jet 120bhp.

ive got the 1.4 16v in my car now (GP series2) and the perfomance is shocking :( you gotta get thhe revs high to move quick.... 4k for the vvt to kick inn :(... but i still average around 37.5mpg

Yeah the performance is crap at low, even mid revs.... I'd have got rid ages ago if it did'nt look so f**king awesome :D ... I reckon mine just needs a good service or something like that :(

Hanks for the replies guys I took if for a longish run yesterday aft and it averaged 56 mpg. I was happy with that but I'm just a tad concerned that the main dealership said it should be averaging that around town. But it does seem that it seems normal for it to be so low for town driving.

Back