Technical Starter motor problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor problem?

psychocandy

Have had a problem for a while. In the mornings, starter motor has been turning over VERY slowly but car does just about start. Also, makes a noise (like when you turn the ignition when the engine is already running).

Anyway, once started its ok then for the rest of the day. So I assumed it was the batttery.

Yesterday though it wouldnt start about 10 mins after I'd just driven 30 miles. Checked the battery voltage and it was 12.75 (which is fine, yeh?)

Did eventually start. Checked this morning and battery was 12.6 (this is ok, yeh?). Still the same - started just about.

Does this sound like a starter motor problem?

How much for starter motor? Easy to fit myself?

Check the battery voltage under load. With the engine turned off, turn on every single electrical item you can think of, and then measure the voltage. If it is significantly lower, then the battery has had it. I have a feeling that 12.6v on and unloaded battery is pretty low anyway, should be more like 13.0v for a healthy battery.

The good news is that you charging system seems to be working just fine with a running voltage of 14v.

Back