Quick guide to cleaning car seats (cloth)

Currently reading:
Quick guide to cleaning car seats (cloth)

Been a few questions asked on here about removing stains from car seats.

Offered to help a mate out and finally got round to doing it yesterday after work. Quiet a good test/ demonstration as your unlikely to find a set of seats this dirty. Prior to my mate owning it it was owned by a mechanic so was absolutely filthy with oil, grease and general dirt well scrubbed/soaked into the seats... (yes its a Fiesta and he apologises) ;)

Always go for the less aggressive option move up in stages rather than go all out with max strength as its not always needed that way you save money and product and get the same results...

First things first and probably the most important bit that is often overlooked is TEST ON AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA FIRST!

last thing you want is to remove/ bleach the colour from the seats

To do this I use a piece of folded kitchen roll and apply a small amount of the solution slightly stronger mixed that im planning on using and rub hard (on a bit you cant see) you will see colour transfer on the white paper if your having problems....

you have 2 different types of "wet vac" one will only suck water up and the other has the facility to dispense cleaner and extract at the same point..
3184883536_3e887d7f53.jpg

the one on the left will extract only where as the one on the right will pump fluid to the head (hence the extra clear rubber hose)
3184044383_76a29ea6e0.jpg

These seats were filthy
DSCF1154.JPG

so first up i gave them a pre-spray with a 10% solution of Bilt Hamber Surfex (this is after finding the standard Vax solution wouldn't touch hardly any of the dirt) once applied via a pump up sprayer and worked in with a soft nylon brush it was left to soak for about 5 mins (do not allow to dry) just take care not do damage the fabric pile

i extracted it with the vax this pulled out a lot of dirt.... Move the head slowly and keep pressure on it so it keeps a good seal.
DSCF1156.JPG

once i had done this i re treated with surfex and this time extracted with water and a cap full of vax solution in the fresh water tank to act as a de-foamer to stop the surfex foaming up in the waste tank of the vax

it took a couple of passes and a few spot treatments of some more stubborn marks buy you can see the difference..

DSCF1159.JPG

you will need to do the whole seat otherwise you will be left with tide/watermarks the sides and edges can be a pain to do but a spare pair of hands can be enlisted to press them flat for the vax head to maintain a good seal...

DSCF1154.JPG DSCF1162.JPG

once done with the vax solution its a good idea to turn off the solution and pass over it again to draw as much moisture as possible to speed up the drying process

i think the results speak for themselves (there is still some staining but most are water stains as it began to dry out)(y)

now all is needed is to thoroughly air the car to allow it to dry

Last edited:
I think I need to get me a proper wet n dry vac, my seats are horrendous and without a vac they refuse to dry without tide marks. :bang:

I'll give that a go if they remain stuck fast. My next step is a Hydrogen Peroxide & Detergent mix, that should shift it!

Wow! That's great!

Look at how nice the seats look! I wonder if I can rent one of those "vax" things at the local grocery?

... unless they are cheaper than they look?

Thanks for the write up! This should help many people! (y)

Wow! That's great!

Look at how nice the seats look! I wonder if I can rent one of those "vax" things at the local grocery?

... unless they are cheaper than they look?

Thanks for the write up! This should help many people! (y)

I assume your in the US?

well i got mine on offer from a German supermarket chain called Aldi here in the UK it was on special offer and paid £45 for it

its the Vax V-020 model

although it is on sale for silly prices take this catalogue store

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4063036/Trail/searchtext>VAX.htm

they do come up on E-bay every now and again at about £50 - £60

I assume your in the US?

well i got mine on offer from a German supermarket chain called Aldi here in the UK it was on special offer and paid £45 for it

its the Vax V-020 model

although it is on sale for silly prices take this catalogue store

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4063036/Trail/searchtext>VAX.htm

they do come up on E-bay every now and again at about £50 - £60

Was that a recent Aldi purchase or awhile ago?
just wondering as id quite like a carpet cleaner in general, i have white carpet throughout house and i used one recently after a water pipe burst, at the time it seemed like a gift from god beat the hell out of sponges & buckets, perk of being able to do car seats for £45 sounds like a bargain to me... if it was fairly recent i'll keep an eye out when i go past em incase there on offer again.

If not, ill look around :cool:

Was that a recent Aldi purchase or awhile ago?
just wondering as id quite like a carpet cleaner in general, i have white carpet throughout house and i used one recently after a water pipe burst, at the time it seemed like a gift from god beat the hell out of sponges & buckets, perk of being able to do car seats for £45 sounds like a bargain to me... if it was fairly recent i'll keep an eye out when i go past em incase there on offer again.

If not, ill look around :cool:

I got mine a couple of years ago but they had them in last month (y)

one thing you will find if doing a lounge carpet is the supply tank is quiet small but meh for the money i dont mind refilling it regularly

saw this on detailing world a bigger machine but a good price :thumb

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/product.php?product_id=135648:

it doesn't look to come with the upholstery wet head tool but they can be picked up on ebay or vax spares

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/accessory...i-function-Upholstery-Wash-Tool-1-2-124594-00

vax on line are selling the machine online for a whopping £159.99

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/accessori...ultifunction-spares-and-accessories/-Vax-6131

Last edited:
I got mine a couple of years ago but they had them in last month (y)

one thing you will find if doing a lounge carpet is the supply tank is quiet small but meh for the money i dont mind refilling it regularly

saw this on detailing world a bigger machine but a good price :thumb

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/product.php?product_id=135648:

it doesn't look to come with the upholstery wet head tool but they can be picked up on ebay or vax spares

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/accessory...i-function-Upholstery-Wash-Tool-1-2-124594-00

vax on line are selling the machine online for a whopping £159.99

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/accessori...ultifunction-spares-and-accessories/-Vax-6131

my living room etc are only small, so tank isnt really a problem... besides, my house is fitted with a tap. :cool:

I'll definitely keep an eye out at aldi (y) quick, easy, cheap.... and i can get chocolate while im there :yum:

This car stuff is bloody expensive, polish / vacuums / pressure washer (also looking to buy) / snipers, it all adds up.

Last edited:
This car stuff is bloody expensive, polish / vacuums / pressure washer (also looking to buy) / snipers, it all adds up.

It really pays to shop about I got an identical looking/feeling Alloy wheel brush for £2.50 where the Meguires one costs £9.99 (i had it in my carrier when i spotted the megs one so could do a comparison)

Managed to pick up 500ml Autoglym Extra gloss protection for £4.99 (its £13 in halfords)

for example (y)

It really pays to shop about I got an identical looking/feeling Alloy wheel brush for £2.50 where the Meguires one costs £9.99 (i had it in my carrier when i spotted the megs one so could do a comparison)

Managed to pick up 500ml Autoglym Extra gloss protection for £4.99 (its £13 in halfords)

for example (y)

nice :eek: ive got no real places to shop around locally, im just on the edge of cribbs causeway so generally i get everything i need from there.... occasionally i'll go around wilko when i visit my dad, that place can have some decent offers (y) ... that said, I think theres a motaman on the way into cribbs, might check that out next time before I get a rectal from halfords again

my dad seems to be intent on me getting a "soft" brush to clean my car with for a quick-clean, but brush + new paint doesn't seem like a good idea to me?

my dad seems to be intent on me getting a "soft" brush to clean my car with for a quick-clean, but brush + new paint doesn't seem like a good idea to me?

NO for the love of god do not use one (i have made that mistake once and learned by it)

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/92876-autoglym.html

get yourself 2 buckets (doesn't really matter what they are)

a washmitt either noodle or fiber type

and some car shampoo

have a read of Tris's post at the top

NO for the love of god do not use one (i have made that mistake once and learned by it)

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/92876-autoglym.html

get yourself 2 buckets (doesn't really matter what they are)

a washmitt either noodle or fiber type

and some car shampoo

have a read of Tris's post at the top

Thats what i thought :) Brushing a car didnt make sense when im pampering it!

I'm doing the 2 buckets / a few noodled mits + micro fibers, and some basic turtlewax shampoo im using up, some AG Wheel Cleaner but i still need to get a brush to do it properly, then ive got some Meguiars applicator pads for the AG Ultra Deep Shine, and some AG Fast Glass for the glass, and some Carplan Wet Look for the tyres i picked up cheap.

Currently im looking for:

1# Brush for the alloy wheels, on the cheap.
2# Pressure Washer in the not too distant future, will probably costco it.
3# And also thinking RainX for the windscreen.
4# Some form of decent sealant for a solid base to the paint i can put on so i know the paints protected long-term (and polish on top whenever I get free time.)

Thats what i thought :) Brushing a car didnt make sense when im pampering it!

I'm doing the 2 buckets / a few noodled mits + micro fibers, and some basic turtlewax shampoo im using up, some AG Wheel Cleaner but i still need to get a brush to do it properly, then ive got some Meguiars applicator pads for the AG Ultra Deep Shine, and some AG Fast Glass for the glass, and some Carplan Wet Look for the tyres i picked up cheap.

Currently im looking for:

1# Brush for the alloy wheels, on the cheap.
2# Pressure Washer in the not too distant future, will probably costco it.
3# And also thinking RainX for the windscreen.
4# Some form of decent sealant for a solid base to the paint i can put on so i know the paints protected long-term (and polish on top whenever I get free time.)

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_30&products_id=669

(i paid £2.50 for the same one but still a reasonable price)

Go onto Flea bay and type in AQUAPEL to the search bar (y)

#4 super resin polish then extra gloss protection (if your on a budget) carstuff is on buy 3 pay for 2 at halfords at the moment (y)

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_30&products_id=669

(i paid £2.50 for the same one but still a reasonable price)

Go onto Flea bay and type in AQUAPEL to the search bar (y)

#4 super resin polish then extra gloss protection (if your on a budget) carstuff is on buy 3 pay for 2 at halfords at the moment (y)

Nicely done, shall get one of those brushs.

I think i saw Aquapel in Costco alittle while ago, the pictures look familiar but didnt pay much attention to it (didnt have a new car at the time), is that relatively safe/easy to use or is it likely to end up smearing if not done just right, or worse likely to super-glue itself in blobs or anything? I always try my best, but after playing with AG Glass Polish I've realised its impossible to get buffed it all off etc.

Edit: watched a youtube video of applying Aquapel, looks safe enough, not sure what "papertowel" they used though, never seen one that doesnt break into pieces and leaf white fluff/bits all over the window!

3 for 2 at halfords, shall head down there n get some bits then :D

Last edited:
Kitchen roll to buff it off i just use a microfibre cloth normally for most cleaning

trick with AG glass polish is to use it sparingly on a foam pad you do not need a lot of it ;)

Yeah that could of been my problem, alittle too much / applying it with wrong thing.

I'll use the pads next time, i like microfibre... though i found unless it was esspecially wet the microfibre seemed to grip/pull abit on the body work so i wasnt sure if i should use it as a general cloth unless the car was especially wet.... might of been because there was no polish at the time i tried it though.

I can certainly use a microfibre on the glass though :) shall order some of that Aquapel tonight!

Back