Tuning New Engine Break-in - An interesting read... would love some professional input!

Currently reading:
Tuning New Engine Break-in - An interesting read... would love some professional input!

Blank2k2

Established member
I've always been told to drive like a granny, not going past 3k rpm, changing gear reguarly, basically dont have fun for the first 1000-2000miles of a new engine, after maxing my revs earlier today i felt abit guilty, so i googled...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This seems to be a common break-in result on google, basically as long as the engines upto optimum temperature, the guy reccomends revving the engine to seal the rings.... meaning increases performance / increased life.

Golden rule is generally be nice while its cold, but feel free to rag it when its reached temp (which the Evo does very quickly.)

This makes alot more sense to me, that driving is slow & steady. I was wondering if any professional engineers or people in the know would be able to discredit or agree with this?

(Note, please dont be ragging your new engines this weekend just incase! this is complete bs!)

Last edited:
I've always been told to drive like a granny, not going past 3k rpm, changing gear reguarly, basically dont have fun for the first 1000-2000miles of a new engine, after maxing my revs earlier today i felt abit guilty, so i googled...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This seems to be a common break-in result on google, basically as long as the engines upto optimum temperature, the guy reccomends revving the engine to seal the rings.... meaning increases performance / increased life.

Golden rule is generally be nice while its cold, but feel free to rag it when its reached temp (which the Evo does very quickly.)

This makes alot more sense to me, that driving is slow & steady. I was wondering if any professional engineers or people in the know would be able to discredit or agree with this?

(Note, please dont be ragging your new engines this weekend just incase! this is complete bs!)

I cant speak from pro experiance even though i did work in a audi/vw franchise as an apprentice for over a year, but mostly the advice was short shift for the 1st 500 miles,, i did not get this as putting load on low revs surely puts more pressure on it the same as high revs..

But this was my down fall within 10 miles of driving my currant Gp,, pulling out of a junction i see a car coming at pace (60mph),, since the car had 17 miles on it (10 by me) & the fact it was a 1.2 i stopped at junction,, car behind didnt,, BUMP,, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This is water temperature not oil temp which is whats important.

But yeah as i said in the other thread it doesnt need to be run in as such. I drove mine hard from when i got it and its fine.

todays engines with better metals and better lubrication don't need to be run in like days of old

:yeahthat:

I can remember my dad saying he bought a new Mazda 626 sport in 1985 and it came out the factory with "cutting oil" which had to be used for the first 1000miles to help the engine "bed in" and no revving beyond 3000rpm. Then changed for regular oil after a 1000miles.

This however definately is NOT the case nowadays, they are slightly pre-run in anyway after manufacture.

As Matt says drive it how you would any other car!

Back