General towing

Currently reading:
General towing

Hi, We have towed with both the petrol multi and the diesel. They have both proved reliable tow cars and tow well. The weight your allowed to tow is quite low though with the petrol been apx 1200kg and the diesel apx 1300kg if I remember correctly. Having said that we still tow a lightweight 6 berth caravan with ours. We have been all over and plan on a trip to France this summer.:) Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
I have a 1.9JTD and I think they are great for towing. Due to the wide wheel base and the rear wheels are close to the back they don't tend to snake. Bought and towed a caravan approx 900kg unladen from York back home to Norwich and it did'nt snake once with no stabiliser. Since this I have now bought another caravan with a stabiliser.....just in case. It does say in your handbook what you can tow braked.(y)

I've gone out and bought a cheap sprite compact. Only six feet 1inch high with the roof down. But! my jtd found it nigh on impossible to reach 60 mph. I've checked the caravan brakes and they are free. I had a problem with an engine mount, wonder if that could slow the towing?

Towing a caravan with a diesel Multi I can easily get to 60 mph on level roads, but I feel the outfit's pretty close to it's safe limit at that. It doesn't take much of an incline to drop the speed rapidly though. Lots of early downchanges helps.

Towing a bike trailer however, 70 feels quite comfortable, you'd hardly know it was there. Must be the greater wind resistance of the caravan makes the difference.

Back