General how do i make my wipers run smooth?

Currently reading:
General how do i make my wipers run smooth?

I have the exact same problem whith my mk2! It´s very annoying :mad:. But I cheked whith my Fiat service, and they told me it´s a very common problem on Puntos. And the only thing that helps is to spray the electonic contacts which goes to the wipers. I´ve done it three times now but it keeps comming back after a while. Does your wipers run smooth after a few minutes? Mine does!

its on all the speeds even when its raining alot the wipers screeeeeeetch across the screen have put music up as drive me crazy. so wot a good make wiper blade and where can buy it from? mine used to judder but fixed that now thanks to that guide :)

This is a common problem it seems on most punto's. I spoke to someone at local fiat garage and they said it was the grease being to heavy causing a bad contact. Check the forum though as I'm sure I remember a thread where it described in detail how to fix the problem (no haynes manual required) (y)

I had a problem with my Punto HGT, the wiper motor had to be changed, the old one was just not up to the job (n) - wipers juddered across the screen. Was told by the dealer that this was covered by a Fiat "recall"

wipers run nice and smooth now....i bought a bosch 11.99 wiper from halfrauds. clipped it on.......silence!! now find out if it still be silent in the rain....

fatboyslimfast said:
I had a problem with my Punto HGT, the wiper motor had to be changed, the old one was just not up to the job (n) - wipers juddered across the screen. Was told by the dealer that this was covered by a Fiat "recall"

That's correct fatboyslimfast, this happened to me a couple of years back now, my missus had a 51 plate Punto GO!, and the wipers started juddering. I changed the wipers but it did not work so I took it back to Fiat who informed me that it was a known fault with the motor (Something about the grease in the gears being too thick), anyway the motor was replaced under warranty.

As I have an 02 HGT I asked the service guy if they were recalling all Puntos so that I could get mine done, he said that Fiat did not know which cars had the dodgy motors and as it would cost a lot of money to recall every single one they were just relying on people to come in and report the probelm, then they would fix it.

Try Champion wipers, they might judder at first but are excellent wipers. No smudging or screeching.

I have my car at my local Fiat garage for the moment to change the whole wiper kit (I suppose wipermotor). Because it doesen´t work after several attempts to fix it. But it´s on the warranty (y)

Just buy a different car. The wiper assembly design on the Punto is fundamentally flawed, believe me. I've had the falling-off arm thing, then I got a used assembly off a scrappie, then I bought a brand new one off the dealer, I've taken the old one apart, put it back in, had the new one looked at, wiped the excess grease off the contacts, got new blades, and it is still utterly, utterly useless.

Having driven several different cars recently (VW Passat, Citroen C5, Mk2 Golf, Vauxhall Zafira, Renault Megane) nothing is remotely as bad as the bloody wipers on the Punto.

It's a shame, because there's lots of great things about the Sporting, like the handling for example.

fatboyslimfast said:

I have this problem on the punto I've just bought, but it's a year 2000 car. Do you think a fiat dealer would do anything about it?

I know just trying to get different opinions tht's all :) if i could have gotten a dealer to do it for free then i'dgo for that :)

Back