General Spring and the 1.3MJ

Currently reading:
General Spring and the 1.3MJ

pearce_jj

Established member
As soon as the outside temperature hits a seemingly magic 10*C, my 1.3MJ completely chages - that horrid transit-van engine clattering and shouting when cold completely vanishes and MPGs gain a good 10% (back up to 70mpg today).

Oh and the seats aren't cold now either (y)

But why does it make such a huge differnce :confused:

tolerances - the clearances between moving parts are looser when everything is cold

and remember a diesel is compression rather than spark ignition so needs to heat up to run properly and efficiently

a diesel block is a heavily engineered heat sink - also why the heater is poor on a diesel

As soon as the outside temperature hits a seemingly magic 10*C, my 1.3MJ completely chages - that horrid transit-van engine clattering and shouting when cold completely vanishes and MPGs gain a good 10% (back up to 70mpg today).

and the DPF light doesn't come on every other week :) (twice from Feb 09-Oct 09, 4 times since then!)

Ive never had my PDF light come on and mine spends most of its time around town, but then im not exactly driving it sensibly as can be seen by my shocking mpg :D
PDF light? We're talking cars here not PC's :p

I HATED my 406 turdo diesel in cold weather. Of course it was a bit more agricultural than the MJ but it was a noisy clattering piece of poop in the winter and took aaaaaaaaaaages to warm up.

Well this is my point, the MJ is simply horrid in cold weather when it is cold. I think it must be using some very different injection settings, for whatever reason.

I've mentioned before I also have a Citreon C4P 1.6 HDi (bought through necessity, but have been really surprised with it in many ways) - that doesn't even bother with glow plugs until -10*C, and is also smooth and quiet right from cold. Hopefully the new diesel in the 500 will be more like that.

Theres a DPF light?

over 10,000 miles and I've never had mine come on?

Nor mine, but it's only done just over 2000 miles in 3 months.

Mind you, it does get a thrash every Friday. I live in a truck all week and by Friday, all I want to do is go home! 35 minutes is my best time from Crediton to Sidmouth!! :D

Have to say I've not really noticed my diesel sounding rattly but then again, after spending the previous 5 days sat on a 12 litre Volvo diesel, I guess any engine would sound as sweet as a sewing machine!

Some of the commercials serve up quite a surprise when they have no trailer - I think it was a Scandia 15.4 that whipped my 500 the other day :eek:(y)

so ive resurrected this thread as its freezing and i have this engine and it is now LOUD!!!

its a common thing then- the MJ turning tractor like when freezing cold outside?

is it normal for the whole car to resonate more when its cold?... interior etc??? (not from the engine but from road noise etc...?)

My Stilo does this, not helped by Oxfordshires finest roads ;)

I guess the plastics are more brittle in this weather, causing more creaks.

Would've hoped the 500 might've been abit better though. Newer design, more solidly constructed etc. Maybe not! :rolleyes:

Back