DayTime Running Lamps [DRL's]

Currently reading:
DayTime Running Lamps [DRL's]

Do you agree with the plans to fit DRL's to all new cars from Feb 2011?

• Yes - They should be on when ever a vehicles engine is running

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Yes - But they should be a configurable user option so the driver can have them on or off

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • No - Drivers should be allowed to choose when they believe vehicle lighting should be used

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • No - The use of DRL's will increase the number of motor cycle accidents

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • No - The use of DRL's will affect the plannet and drivers pocket through the use of extra fuel

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've already done a thread on DRL's a while back, and road users not using lights when they should be used before, but am asking if Mod's could keep this thread seperate please as I want to have a different poll on this one, and start with a fresh slate in regard to peoples views on this.

I'm planning on using the poll and general points of views attached to this thread in a assignment I'm currently undertaking, so please feel free to vote and discuss the issue in hand to help me out.

A few points from different places on the net (not nessecarily fact though)

Could save 5500 lives a year

European Parliament expected to approve it

Britain opposed to plans, but can't block them

A DFT study found that although DRL implementation will reduce accidents the costs involved in the prevention of these accidents will not outweigh the cost of these accidents.

Conventional DRL's will add an average for £160 a year to the average motorists fuel bill through increased fuel consumption.

On a personal basis I am all for DRL's and am all for when they're introduced as standard on all new cars from Feb 2011. I do believe though that the use of only LED's as DRL's is something that should be concidered to reduce the use of extra fuel.

Discuss :)

Last edited:
If they are only ever going to be daytime lights - they could be run from solar and thus not affect the MPG of the host vehicle (appart from weight issues).

so what are there plans to fit them to every new car built or just add them onto every car?
if the later i think a lot of people will be reluctant as they wont look good, they will look like a chav tbh i know i wont be happy with them shoved on the front of my car

so what are there plans to fit them to every new car built or just add them onto every car?
if the later i think a lot of people will be reluctant as they wont look good, they will look like a chav tbh i know i wont be happy with them shoved on the front of my car

Just fit them to all newly built cars from factory.

I've made a muck up and got two thread on the same thing now :doh: other has a poll, but I've asked a mod to merge.

If they are only ever going to be daytime lights - they could be run from solar and thus not affect the MPG of the host vehicle (appart from weight issues).

A good point, but means they won't work well in reduced lighting conditions such as rain etc when also of people seem not to use Headlamps.

I don't mind them as long as they are led (not using up much more fuel and don't burn out too quickly). However I would have though a better use of the money would be on more traffic plice to pull over idiots that don't switch on their lights in snow/rain/fog/dark!

Pointless imo. It would annoy the living daylights out of me seeing everyone with lights on constantly.

Maybe sidelights, maybe

That the only reason why it'd be pointless? Why would it annoy you?

Aslo what good would sidelights be? They're only 5watt a side. Can't see them unless practically on top of the car, or its really dark (n)

That the only reason why it'd be pointless? Why would it annoy you?

Aslo what good would sidelights be? They're only 5watt a side. Can't see them unless practically on top of the car, or its really dark (n)

Sidelights have been ok up til now. Also, sidelights are better than no lights - therefore should be considered as an intermediate option between no lights and DRLs.

There is no need for any kind of permanent light. DRLs are pointless as we already have sidelights as already mentioned. Also, to fit DRLs and then to make them driver configurable is also pointless - as once again we already have sidelights that do the job fine, even if they are only 5W a side. I've never had a problem seeing them tbh.

They look stoopid!!

Also why can't people see a car, why does it need to have fairy lights on it to be seen? And then you'll get drivers driving at night with them on and not main lights. Creates more problems than they're worth imo.

Re: Daytime Running Lamps [DRL's]

About 15 years ago, Greyhound Bus Lines in the USA tested driving with lights on during daytime.
After some time they found that headlights on saved lots of life's and other damage....!!
I know we don't live in the USA, but I run daylights for about 10 years now.
It costs me two sets of ( expensive) Osram Nightbreaker bulbs every year, but it gives me peace of mind.
(And I DO drive a motorbike as well....with lights always on, of course.)

In Sweden and Norway, after starting a car, the headlights turn on automatically, it's the law overthere for many years now.

definate daylight running light should be law you can miss a car with the lights off especially the twonks that forget to put there main lights when its dusk or even night seen it they must eat a lots of carrots :bang: drl's would help but they have to be energy efficent led's that run on an alternative power similar to the way a bicycle light works oh thats it a dynamo which its energy can be stored in a battery pack when its running and when vehicle is at standstill it starts using the stored energy :confused::cool:

if people cant see other cars and people clear enough not to hit them in daylight, then should they really be driving?
imo i dont think it will change stats by much, if at all, as people will still drive the same, which in effect is why people crash, through bad judgement and stupidity, not bad vision.
If its a further 160 pound a year, then it sounds like another tax if you ask me.
thats just my opinion though (y)

I learnt to drive in a Volvo, which has the headlights hard wired on, so I have got into the habit of turning headlights on in every car I drive, especially the X1/9, as it is so small. The cost of the electricity to run them is negligible, and if it saves me an accident, then it is well worth the cost I reckon.

Back