Technical ESP/ASR retrofitting??

Currently reading:
Technical ESP/ASR retrofitting??

B3NNETT

Alfa 145 2.0 20V Turbo
Right I have been thinking about this idea for a while and I'm just wondering if it is actually possible.

I would like to add ESP/ASR to my 06 stilo 1.9 jtd mjet sporting 120

I have had a little thought and I think it would involve a fair bit of wiring to get it to all the abs sensors etc but if I could get the system of a car that's being broken, do you think there would be any other problems like if it would have to be tied into the body computer or CAN network?

I thnk if this is at all possible I think it would be a great little project. :)

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
abs/esp/asr is one unit - i'd be guessing that although your ecu would not talk to it and may give you a flashing mileage display (am also guessing it is a smart node) abs and esp would work (as these mainly control the brakes) but i don't see how asr would work as it needs to talk to other components to control the clutch (if your car can even do that) hm come to think of it.. esp would also need to control the clutch (or at least the accelerator) i do not see it working as a retrofit with original equipment – but do give it a go (would be quite interesting to find out if i’m wrong)

This has been discussed at length before and the general consensus is it's a complete waste of time (usual body computer issue)

That said I don't think anyone has gone to the trouble of trying so you're welcome to be the first - but don't say I didn't warn you :)

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm thinking that the way it controls the power would be more the throttle through the throttle position sensor, and possible braking the wheels through the abs system,
I'm going to have a look at the elearn just to have a look to see what the system actually plugs into and then hopefully it may be a case of just runnng wires etc.. As depending the ecu may be already programmedwith it and just needs waking up.

I will definately be giving it a go if I can get hold of a car for braking or all the neccessary components.

This has been discussed at length before and the general consensus is it's a complete waste of time (usual body computer issue)

That said I don't think anyone has gone to the trouble of trying so you're welcome to be the first - but don't say I didn't warn you :)

Had a quick search and can't find anything about retrofitting it, have you got a linky? :)

just been having a quick look at Elearn, and it seems that all the components needed to run the asr system are already there, the only thing i can see is possibly having to change the abs control unit and fit the asr on/off switch, seems like the wires and sensors for the rest are standard things with abs anyway,

The ABS electronic control unit M50 is supplied (at pin 2 and 6) directly by the battery via a line protected by maxifuse F1, housed in the engine compartment junction unit B1.
The ignition-operated supply (INT/A) reaches pin 23 from the line protected by the fuse F42 of under facia control unit B2 .
The control unit is earthed via pins 1 and 5.
The four sensors K70, K71, K75, K76 send wheel speed signals to pins 28-12, 15-16, 13-14 and 30-31 of M50 respectively.
Brake pedal switch I30 sends an enablement signal to pin 14 of control unit M50 : the ABS cannot intervene unless the brake pedal is pressed. The switch I30 is supplied when the ignition is switched on (INT) from fuse F37 of junction unit B2 .
The 'ASR OFF' control button on panel H35 sends a deactivation signal to pin 27 of M50 , while pin 18 viene relays a signal that turns on a led on panel H35 when the system is off. ; The switch H35 is supplied when the ignition is switched on (INT) from fuse F49 of junction unit B2.
Pin 37 of M50 emits a discrete speed signal for transmission to Body Computer M1 ; the same signal is also copied to the CAN network.
Pins 24 and 40 of ABS control unit M50 connect to engine control unit M10, Body Computer M1 and and instrument panel E50 to control the ABS warning light and - if the problem lies in the EBD function - the low brake fluid level and handbrake warning lights.
The ASR function manages the relevant warning light as described previously.
Self-diagnostic data can be read by connecting to connector C of Body Computer M1- pin 1: it receives signals from pin 11 of the control unit M50 via the special diagnostic line.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm thinking that the way it controls the power would be more the throttle through the throttle position sensor, and possible braking.

A JTD doesnt have a throttle like a petrol. The system has to tell the engine ECU to reduce fueling and no, it does not apply the brakes.

I think it would be easier to sell the car and buy one with it fitted if you really want it.

The actual throttle pedal is the same operation just how it comes out the ecu the other end that's different.

It was my understanding that ESP braked individual wheels to stop the car spinning whereas asr just cuts the throttle to stop wheelspinning.
I am more intrested in getting ESP than asr although both would be nice.
I still think this would be possible with a little more research,

Last edited:
I am more intrested in getting ESP than asr although both would be nice.
I still think this would be possible with a little more research,
I think you need to do a bit more reading before you start.

Since ASR is a subset of ESP then that's effectively impossible :rolleyes:

As has been suggested, I'd go the new car route :)

I think you need to do a bit more reading before you start.

Since ASR is a subset of ESP then that's effectively impossible :rolleyes:

As has been suggested, I'd go the new car route :)

I don't think he meant he didn't want the ASR, he meant that ESP will be more useful to him. By looking at Elearn, no diesel Stilo manufactured after 2004 even had the option of the systems? Therefore "new car route" to the same specification is impossible.

I think its worth a go at anyway as the parts will be available used cheaply, no one else seems to have even attempted it, how do you know until you try something (y)

yeah thats what i meant thanks ads,

yer i like to have a challenge and be the first its what makes me tick lol.

if anyone would like to help would be nice to have a pic of the abs pump/modulator with esp/asr to compare the differences and part no. if it is on it.

I don't think he meant he didn't want the ASR, he meant that ESP will be more useful to him. By looking at Elearn, no diesel Stilo manufactured after 2004 even had the option of the systems? Therefore "new car route" to the same specification is impossible.
Must admit, I hadn't considered that. I'm looking for a top spec Stilo mJet 150 myself (skyroof, ESP etc) but if that's the case then I've set myself a hopeless task :(

I think its worth a go at anyway as the parts will be available used cheaply, no one else seems to have even attempted it, how do you know until you try something (y)
I wish it could done but the thing is there's always that inherent wisdom, based on previous experience, of knowing when certain actions are very likely to be a waste of time :bang:

mate if u can manage to put these on ur car u should be able to resolve the asr/esp loose connection issues

mate if u can manage to put these on ur car u should be able to resolve the asr/esp loose connection issues

that you never do know i am sure there will be a fix for it, but i have never had these issues, must be something to do with the fact i not got it :p

could i ask if people with ESP/ASR could post up a pic of there ABS modulator pump and ECU please. (its located just behind the fusebox on mine think others should be the same)

thought i had one with part no 71730143 (pics attached at bottom)

however the plugs turned out to be i think completely different.
i am looking for one with pipes that come off and a plug the same as these pics.
Will probably have to be you JTD owners i think.

25423_347923196300_535966300_4233793_2881023_n.jpg

25423_347922631300_535966300_4233792_3851017_n.jpg

25423_347921811300_535966300_4233791_1591072_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 52
Back