Technical 07 ducato 160 multijet wont start

Currently reading:
Technical 07 ducato 160 multijet wont start

kit00010

RE 2007 fiat ducato 3.0l 160 multijet

have suffered a few odd things with my van recently ( see https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/223106-2007-160-multijet-wont-turn-off-fan-stays.html ) but this is the latest:

every now and then it wont start, turns but wont fire. (engine light has been on since the fuse box problems about 4 weeks ago) no problem, all i do to get it going is turn off and try again and it fires up straight away, every time. until now that is.

stopped to get some chips yesterday then went back to the van and it wouldn't start, turning over ok just not firing. tried the usual trick of turning off and trying again but no luck. noticed there is no noise with the ignition on now, usually there is a humming/buzzing coming from the engine bay but nothing, just dead quiet. stripped the engine bay fuse box to bits on roadside (have had water ingress problems here in the past and looks a bit corroded and green inside), waggled all fuses and relays, wd40'd and put back, also did ecu connectors but alas, still wont fire. swopped some of the relays around in case one was faulty but nothing :(

so, a call to the AA and an hour later the guy is plugging it in and prodding things, read off 3 fault codes: fuel pressure reg, mass air flow, and intake air temp sensor. he suspected a fuel supply fault, maybe lift pump or high pressure pump or associated electrics but im wondering could it be the fuse box? he had it running on easy start for a second or 2, but in the end he couldnt get it going.

now, i cant afford to take it to fiat or go replacing fuel pumps so where should i start? some guy stopped and said it sounded like the fuel pump relay to him as he had just replaced one himself.

i would really appreciate any help on this one (and am on a tight budget !)

kit

Hi

Did you replace your fuse box or just clean it out. If it was not replaced I would do so they are about £70.00 you need the numbers off the old one. As the electrical contacts in side corrode causing short circuts and non start issues.
(y)

hi, thanks for the reply
i didnt change it, i just cleaned it as best as i could but i couldnt get right inside. looks like i better change it then, fiat have quoted me £98 plus vat for the fusebox, how do i get one for £70?
thanks
:)

would the ducato fusebox be the same as a punto fusebox? (nice and cheap on ebay!)

i thought i'd have a proper go at stripping the fusebox completely to see exactly how bad it was inside, as i was just about to order a new one anyway so had nothing to loose, turns out it is possible to strip it right down without doing any damage.
i took a few pics along the way and made a basic diagram to assist in putting it back together.
i found a fair bit of corrosion, gunk and moisture on the boards (poss water and wd40 from previous damp problems) so got a new long soft bristle wire brush and scrubbed all the metal contacts clean then washed everything out with an aerosol spray solvent, also washed all relays and fuses in a jug of the stuff then blow dried it all with an air line. cleaned all the wiring connectors that plug into the bottom of the fuse box and re assembled without any wd40 this time.
took about an hour to piece it all back together, then put it all back into the van and hey presto, it works!!
cost £12 in spray solvent and major hassle with van off road, but well chuffed it worked! may need to change the fuse box in the future i guess, or just keep cleaning it, have to see how finances lie.
p.s. while working on the van in the rain i was surprised to see how much water was getting into the engine bay and on top of the engine, water was coming through the black plastic panel below the windscreen, seems like the fuse box is in a very damp area.
good ol' fiat (y)

Attachments

• 18022010024.jpg
    18022010024.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 18022010021.jpg
    18022010021.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 473
  • 18022010022.jpg
    18022010022.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 18022010029.jpg
    18022010029.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 390
  • 18022010028.jpg
    18022010028.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 292
Did you get the scuttle modification that was intended to stop water getting into the engine compartment and the engine cover? This was a modification that you had to specifically ask for. It was not a recall.

I suggest you make a plastic cover for your fusebox to stop water getting in.

***UPDATE***

got tired of stripping and cleaning the fusebox (and breaking down) so bought a new one ! skint now !!

yes, about £90. i have a new problem now, i had better start a new thread :bang:

Back