Technical Can't open Marea Weekend boot - help!

Currently reading:
Technical Can't open Marea Weekend boot - help!

gisburne

Hi folks, I have a Fiat Marea HLX Weekend 2.0 20V 98 (R-reg) and bought it a couple of days ago. I just went to open the boot (I've had it open before) and the handle on the boot lid appears to be up (as it would be when you press it) and won't go any further so won't unlock the boot. And it won't come down again, won't move at all in fact. How do I get it open?! I don't have an owner's manual so perhaps this is normal and I'm missing something? Any help would be appreciated!

have you tried crawling in the back and seeing if you can see the machanism from the inside?

i know with the sei you can pull the right bit and it *should* open...

SEI POWER

NOS Guzzlers are just lower beings :D

Solution was this: gave it a whack(!) and the handle popped out, although I had to operate the central locking a few times before the thing clicked open. The lock itself is fine, it's just the handle which seems at fault so I'll live with it if it just takes a knock to open it. Thanks for all the help.

i had exact same prob, i kept hitting it until one day it just wouldnt open, so i had to take the rear door trim off and dismantle the mechanism, I had hit it so hard that the central locking actuating arm had come off its mounting point, fixed that and cleaned locking mech up generally and to be on safe side screwed an eyelet ( net curtain wire holder type ) into handle so i could grab it, touch wood it has been fine since....

dave

This is a known problem for Marea Weekend. It helps a little to clean but after a while you have to replace. Costs approx. € 75 excl. VAT and assembly. Had to do it also.....

Marea 2.4 TD HLX

Sorry for the delay on reply, but only just found out about the forum.

Got Marea w/e td100, liked it so much, just bought Marea Saloon.

With Tailgate handle on estate.

I cleaned and oiled, but the problem comes back.

Eventually took the handle and lock off of car, dismantled the lot. This includes knocking the large pin (with the spring on it) out of the handle housing. I could then remove the handle and open up the holes in the housing, with a small drill, which allowed the pins to rotate freely once oiled and reassembled.

Voilla, job done, sod buying a new unit.

If you need, mail me and i'll try and get diagrams together, but it's pretty straight forward.
Good luck

Modo, I'd be interested to know how you got that pin out.
I couldn't work out how to do it on mine. I gave the assembly a clean however, and it's OK at the moment. I'm sure that I'll need to sort it out again another day though.

Al

*** 1998 Marea 2.4 TD Weekend HLX ***

I've had the same prob.

completley siezed. Had to get a new handle.

Common problem on the Marea I'm afraid, as well as the driver door handle breaking.

Alec
Team Panther Racing

gisburne said:
Hi folks, I have a Fiat Marea HLX Weekend 2.0 20V 98 (R-reg) and bought it a couple of days ago. I just went to open the boot (I've had it open before) and the handle on the boot lid appears to be up (as it would be when you press it) and won't go any further so won't unlock the boot. And it won't come down again, won't move at all in fact. How do I get it open?! I don't have an owner's manual so perhaps this is normal and I'm missing something? Any help would be appreciated!

I had the same problem in my 51 reg marea, hit the boot & it worked again, having it fixed anyway at the garage.
Hodson03 :cool:

Once you've stripped down the lock, use a 3" nail, or drift, to drive the pin out. If you look at where the pin is held into the backplate there are 2 small holes (look like drainage, below the lugs). you can hammer the nail through the lugs, and drive the pin out. Once you get it moving, you can get grips on the other end to pull the pin out. Be careful though, cause the plastic looked a bit brittle.

I'll e-mail a basic drawing (hope it helps).(if anyone else wants this, drop me a mail).

I still havent had any problems with mine since i did it.

Regards, Modo

On several occasions we have had the handle stick in the open position instead of poping back down :mad: When this occurs then you can't open the hatch! We have found that by using a key and the small notch to the side of the handle, you can pull the handle back down (though it's a bit fiddly) and thus open the door. Not an ideal solution but it allows you to get the shopping home when your in Tesco's carpark :rolleyes:

Common problem this mine did it to gave mechanism a good clean plus took the actual handle out and sanded round edge with sand paper no trouble since.

I have the same problem on mine but is easily cured by opening and closing the central locking from the drivers door a few times in quick succession. The handle flips down every time! :D

I've got this problem on my Weekend. I've tried to remove the handle/no. plate light assembly - 2 allen bolts outside, just outboard of the number plate lights, 2 nuts inside and 3rd allen bolt inside about central, but there is still something holding it. I guess it has to unclip from the solenoid, but whatever is holding it seems too tight to be this. What have I missed?

Thanks, Ian

Hiya Ian,

don't seem to have missed anything but just in case.

1. Undo & Remove Rear Wiper

2. Remove 2 allen bolts at either side of Number Plate

3. Remove 2 nuts inside tailgate

4. Remove allen screw to locking mechanism (central)

5. Remove solenoid and rubber grommet.

As you said, you've done most of the above.

6. remove 2 allen screws (1 either side of locking mechanism, inside tailgate)

7. from outside, Carefully prize off the 'Plate'. It has a foam seal which has probably stuck with dirt and compression. You also have to maneuver it to get the locking lever out

8. disconnect the 2 number plate lamp cables.

That should do the trick

Last edited:
Back