General My rear view mirror fell off...

Currently reading:
General My rear view mirror fell off...

skimpy

:(

Sad times. While doing a minor adjustment to the mirror it just came off the windscreen in my hands!

Called the garage and they have said they have done many repairs over the years, none of which have ever really stuck that well. However they have got a new glue in which he said they can try but involves going to get the arm stuck, leave for 48hrs and then re-attach the mirror.

Called Autoglass but they wont re-attach them unless they put them on in the first place.

Anyone else had this problem?

Hi Skimpy
I also knocked the mirror off on my Alfa 145 Junior, I seem to remember I got a special adhesive pad from a local dealer which worked, but look on Ebay for 'car mirror glue'

Alot of dealers (us included) contact windscreen companies to do this for us as the products they use are good and designed to work quickly. Call a few or contact your dealer and ask who they use. Best thing to do though is go to the company and ask (offer them a drink and its amazing how fast the red tape can be thrown away).

we use a 2 pack adhesive kit (forget the name) which is a gel then you spray the activator on it. Never had a mirror fall off after using this stuff...good for repairing grande punto diagnostic covers and sticking apprentices to ceilings aswell(y)

:(

Sad times. While doing a minor adjustment to the mirror it just came off the windscreen in my hands!

Called the garage and they have said they have done many repairs over the years, none of which have ever really stuck that well. However they have got a new glue in which he said they can try but involves going to get the arm stuck, leave for 48hrs and then re-attach the mirror.

Called Autoglass but they wont re-attach them unless they put them on in the first place.

Anyone else had this problem?

wow, so much drama for such a tinsy little problem...

wow, so much drama for such a tinsy little problem...

So much drama? Was hardly saying it was a massive, catastropic problem was just wondering if anyone else had this experience. Not exactly handy when it falls off, especially when the Bravo has a pretty wide arse (which I like) but means that little city cars dissappear behind you.

Hopefully get it sorted on Monday when the workshop re-opens. Thanks for your responses people, I'll see if they can get a glass repair ompany to do something.

This happened to me within a couple of days of ownership ( 18 months ago now) I just ran it round to a local car windscreen replacement company who glued it back on while I waited. Took 20 mins & it aint ever fell off again. (y)

This happened to me within a couple of days of ownership ( 18 months ago now) I just ran it round to a local car windscreen replacement company who glued it back on while I waited. Took 20 mins & it aint ever fell off again. (y)

Really? I called Autoglass but they said they wouldn't do it as they hadn't put it on in the first place. Maybe if I turned up it would be a different story. Got it put back on Yesterday, had to visit the garage and they stuck the bracket to the glass then had to wait 24 hours and then return to get the mirror put back on. Fingers crossed it sticks!

Meh rearview isn't that important anyway.

Plus, it means you don't legally have to scrape ice or snow off your back window if you don't have one.

Its not nice not having one, rather disconcerting, also means you can't easily check if the police are behind you when your zooming along!

The only mirror you need by law is the driver side wing mirror, the others are merely 'advisory'. People are bad enough with blind spots when they have mirrors...imagine what they would be like without them!! :eek:

Its not nice not having one, rather disconcerting, also means you can't easily check if the police are behind you when your zooming along!

The only mirror you need by law is the driver side wing mirror, the others are merely 'advisory'. People are bad enough with blind spots when they have mirrors...imagine what they would be like without them!! :eek:

Not true, mot requirements are a mirror on the os and one other mirror either the ns or centre rear view mirror.

i know. Had the missus harping on about this mirror for weeks. Went out the halfrauds and bought a rear view mirror adhesive pad. So comes back cleans the window etc. Sticks it on and all is well. Week later the git fell off.

So in true 'I shant be beat' fashion. I set to it with some epoxy lol.

Day or so later, huge crack down ze window!

More nagging followed along with a new window bill and a fitter who laughed his tits off :eek::D:bang::cry:

Not true, mot requirements are a mirror on the os and one other mirror either the ns or centre rear view mirror.

Really!? Oh I was just quoting what the AA told me when I called them to ask if they could put it back on and he said I was legally fine. Thanks for the heads up...

Back