Technical My car died while driving

Currently reading:
Technical My car died while driving

HERRON

Can u help,i was driving my car and it just died on me, i took the fuel line of carb and got my mrs to turn it over, fuel came out of the carb but none come up from pipe is it the fuel pump if it it were is it, thanx

lift up rear passenger seat and remove 4 pozi-head screws, then the diamond shaped plate to better see and hear fuel pump better(y)

Last edited:
carb :confused:

as its a 899cc its more then likely fuel injection

as you were driving did anything happen? such as lights going dim aux belt squeal if so check the alternator is giving a good charge out or if the belt is missing

as said, it wont be a carb - it's an injection system (assuming you are in the UK)

which pipe did you pull off to check fuel flow? You don't need to, just remove the airbox and turn the car over - you'll see fuel pool on the butterfly.

if you pull the fuel supply hose off, when you turn the ignition on you'll get fuel spray out at around 1.2bar.

when you turn the ignition on, you should hear the pump prime for 2 seconds (it is, as stated, below the rear seats 8mm nuts, not pozi screws mind).

did you hit a bump before it died? could've tripped the fuel cutout. this is located right in the middle of the centre console, but bolted to the bulk head. has a big button on it.

Last edited:
lift up rear passenger seat and remove 4 pozi-head screws, then the diamond shaped plate to better see and hear fuel pump better(y)

ive had a look under seet and there is no screws, should pet come out of the pipe near the bat on the left at back,or does it pump out of carb

tell us what car you have for a start, and stop pulling hoses off it - it's not a carb, you'll be spraying fuel all over the place. The pump could be fine and you're just pulling hoses off the evap/charcoal canister.

when you turn the ignition on, you should hear the pump prime for 2 seconds (it is, as stated, below the rear seats 8mm nuts, not pozi screws mind).

:bang:i was close:D

Last edited:
I was just driving down rhyl prom the red injecter light come on and the car spluttered like mad i puled over and it died,i tryd to start it it was firing but then stopped

THE PIPE I TOOK OFF WAS ON THE LEFT TRACING IT TO BACK OF CAR, NO FUEL CAME OUT OF IT,,BUT FUEL CAME OUT OF WERE THE I TOOK THE PIPE OFF, AND YES I CAN HEAR IT PRIMING FOR ABOUT 2 SECS

Last edited:
Lol its half full, just had a look fot the button underneath all i can see is , its about the size of a coke can with the fuel pipes either end but no button

did something similar on my mrs punto 75, turned out a coil pack had gone.
completely flooded the engine with petrol twice trying to find the problem.(n)
check if you have spark
check the air inlet system
check if their is fuel being sent into the cylinders(remove plugs,move plug leads well out of the way, get a second person to turn the engine over and stay to the side otherwise you will be very clean and high afterwards:p)

and if you are not sure as to what you are doing, get someone with you who does:) otherwise it will cost alot more when it goes bang:cry:

Ok but should fuel come out of the pipe, cuz its comming out of carb when pipe is off

Ok I understand you would like to drive your little auto again but you may need to read more carefully.

The auto has a fuel injection system controlled by a little computer, when the red light went on that was the computer saying, it was well unhappy.

Stop pulling off petrol pipes it is dangerous, for fire hazard and also for the risk of fuel penetrating your skin, and it wont provide any help.

You need to understand all this before opening bonnet again, do you?

Your problem is most likely one of the sensors there are are large number of them, has detected something bad, you need to identify which one and replace.

the little computer has a diagnostic socket and it will tell you what is wrong sometimes in a helpful way. Otherwise you have to understand how the fuel injection works and it makes a carb look like a kiddies toy.

You need a mate who is a good auto mechanic, that is the easy option

Noel

Last edited:
the coke cany ou found under the auti is the petrol filter (probably).

You were looking for the crash switch, it is under the radio consol forward of the gear stick where the bulk head raises from the floor.

But there is no point in pushing the crash button if you can hear the fuel pump prime, the 2-3 seconds faint whirr when you turn the key.

The 'carb' is an injector which is opened by the computer electrically, the pump pressurises the petrol, so when the injector is told to open the petrol squirts out. The injector does have a pipe connected to it but you dont need to take it off you need to remove the air cleaner element and sniff there will be a smell of petrol, if the computer is telling the injector to open and the injector is not broke.

The earlier post asks that you confirm you have a spark at the plug lead ends, please try that if you can smell petrol.

If you cant smell petrol are there any other warning lights on?

Please dont tell me/us you can remove hoses, otherwise we will ask you to stand under the garden hose with the water turned on... That is not dangerous

Noel
P.S. I think there is a return hose to the tank, which should flow petrol, when you crank the engine, but dont remove this. If you can see petrol on the butterfly or small it there is petrol being injected...

Last edited:
i think HERRON has an obsesion with pulling off pipes:rolleyes:
the pipe you have pulled off is the fuel return pipe so will release fuel when the fuel pressure regulator hits its max pressure.
it should be the one next to it with a little arrow pointing towards the injector unit(its:bang: not a :bang: carburretor:bang:)
but please do not take it off.
probable cause could be in mind coil pack or tdc sensor.thats what i would try but im just shooting in the dark.
are the plugs ok?what state is the air filter in?has the fuel been contaminated?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
a plug in cann cost upwards of £40 and that is not guaranteed to find the fault.
do yourself a favour and find someone that knows a tiny bit about electronic fuel injection otherwise this looks like it may take some time:idea:

Back