Technical Front fog lights help

Currently reading:
Technical Front fog lights help

g50245

The Land Of Constant Rain
I saw this guide-post regarding front fog lights and was hoping for some clarification and help: https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punt...og-lights.html

In the post, it is mentioned not to use any part of the existing wiring circuit or the ECU if wiring fog lamps. Does this apply only to the Grande or to all Punto's? Are there circumstances where this can be partially "ignored"?

I have a Mk2b 2005 Punto to which I want to fit front fogs. I have installed a multifunction switchbank with an active front fog button. When I press the button, (with the main lights on) the FF (front fog) LED symbol lights up in the cluster.
There is no wiring from ECU to front fusebox.

My intention is to take the feed directly from the front fog switch (provided it is a negative pulse), bypassing the ECU altogether, directly to the front fusebox and connect it to T14 (86 on relay).
My front fusebox has a T14 relay and its fuse is fitted. All I require to make this work, is the negative feed from the FF button and 2 wires to the front fog lamps.
I would prefer this option, as it is the cleanest/tidiest and keeps the fuses / relay together in the fuse box compartment, making it look almost "factory fitted" .
Is this feasible? Is there any danger of mucking up the ECU or causing any other permanent damage to the car?
Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, I did write to the author of the guide, but maybe he hasn't had time to reply as yet.

Not sure I understand what you mean by digital...

Wiring is definitely not there.
If I look in engine compartment fusebox, T14 relay is fitted and fuse socket is there (just needs a 7.5A fuse, according to Haynes), but connector B (brown one) has no wires for pin 23 (from ECU) and Pins 4 & 5 to front fogs.
I did an electrical test on fusebox, to see if connectivity to T14 is correct and found no problems. Works like should. All it needs, to activate correctly, is a negative signal from ECU or, in this case, hopefully from push switch.
What I don't know is what effect will there be on car electrics, , if any, by connecting the push switch directly to pin 23 (in place of signal from ECU) and taking the relay output via pins 4&5 directly to fogs.

Essentially, all I'm doing, is taking the live feed to the relay directly on the fusebox. Logic tells me there shouldn't any problem, as the ECU is not involved.
Reality is that, since this is a Fiat, anything is possible. Before I f**k everything up, I was hoping that the OP of the guide (who appears to have loads of experience with this), a qualified car sparky or anyone with experience could shed some insight.

2b should be digital, are you sure the wiring is not already there?

May need told that you want them live.

Cheers

SPD

Last edited:
Back