903/850 sport

Currently reading:
903/850 sport

bent 850

Hey all.
I have an 850 sport coupe with the 903 / 100gbc engine. With the oil filter in the front pully/ballancer. Is it possible to use a later 127 block with spin on oil filter with all the crank, rods , bearings, oil pump, dizzy, cam, head etc from the old engine?:confused:

Hey all.
I have an 850 sport coupe with the 903 / 100gbc engine. With the oil filter in the front pully/ballancer. Is it possible to use a later 127 block with spin on oil filter with all the crank, rods , bearings, oil pump, dizzy, cam, head etc from the old engine?:confused:

Ages since I messed about with 850 Sport Coupe but I suspect the only thing you'd need to check is the oil pump. It will be spinning the right way, of course, but you'd need to check if that's the opposite way from the 127 pump (depends on the angle of the gears on the camshaft and oil pump shaft) which could mean that the inlet and outlet ports in the block are not in the right place. Also the oil pickup - the 850 has a cast aluminium sump and the 127 a pressed steel one (I think) and you'd need to check where the pickup is relative to the sump.

Hi and thanks.
Do you know of any other way of converting to a spin on oil filter? Modified oil pump or anything like that?

hey babbo umbro.
just for ease of changing oil & filter. also i want to do some club / motokhana events and i can plumb in an oil cooler.:)

When You exchange 850 engine by one of the 127, paid attention to connecting rods that must rotate 180 degrees to have lubricating oil.

You can set up a remote oil filter. Lines run in/out at the oil sender hole and the front pressure regulator , Consult with those who race these engines for the exact set up.

I have a '71 850 Sport Spider that I had plumbed for an external canister oil filtration system several years ago. If you want your engine to last then I think that it is essential to take care of the oil, and this upgrade is money well spent.

The modification involves drilling and tapping the block to accommodate the lines that run to and from the canister filter. I have enclosed a couple of pics to give you an idea of what it looks like.

As you will see in the pics, I removed the mechanical fuel pump in favor of an electric one. This was done both for reliability and to make room for the oil filtration hoses.

I hope that this helps.

Dave

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 115
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
Back