Technical JTD 80 tick tick sound

Currently reading:
Technical JTD 80 tick tick sound

coffee

I started to notice some rattling from under the bonnet recently. It wasn't all of sudden thing but started gradually. How could I describe it at best. I can hear exactly same sound as from old petrol junker which sounds like diesel.
It sounds like louder tick tick tick sound and the frequency follows the revs.
The sound is more noticeable when the engine is warm and the normal diesel noise is reduced and when accelerating from low revs and low speed. It can be heard also when the clutch pedal is depressed, so I presume it's not clutch or gearbox related.
And besides that sound the engine runs fine.
The engine has 120k miles and timing belt was replaced at 92.
Any idea what it could be?

When were the valve clearances last adjusted?

They should be checked and adjusted, if neccessary, as part of the service but as it's quite a lenghty process and involves a special tool, many non dealer garages don't bother.

Dave.

When were the valve clearances last adjusted?

They should be checked and adjusted, if neccessary, as part of the service but as it's quite a lenghty process and involves a special tool, many non dealer garages don't bother.

Dave.

Thanks for reply.
Truly I have no idea. Probably long time ago if ever.

Checking the clearances is included in the service schedule but if they need adjusting extra and depends how many need adjusting. The new shims needed to adjust them with are about £13 each and there are 8 of them.

Dave.

It will be your crankshaft pulley. Common to fail on a JTD. Cost about £80, and quite easy to change.

Change it soon before it breaks and does serious damage.

Last edited:
Agree with john 55 sounds like bottom pulley, mileage is about right for it.
When it first starts you get the rattle when cold, and as the engine warms up the noise goes, if you turn the a/c on it comes back.
As the rubber centre breaks up the noise becomes permanent.
Easy job four torx bolts.

Agree with john 55 sounds like bottom pulley, mileage is about right for it.
When it first starts you get the rattle when cold, and as the engine warms up the noise goes, if you turn the a/c on it comes back.
As the rubber centre breaks up the noise becomes permanent.
Easy job four torx bolts.

The noise is more evident when the engine is warm. but I will check that as well.

It’s easy enough to see it if you take off the o/s/f wheel and the plastic cover you can see the bottom pulley.
If the centre rubber looks cracked and you can move it from side to side change it.
I too struggled with the belt, but found an easy way.
If you put the belt around all the pulleys except the power steering, get it to bite on the power steering pulley and turn the engine over with a spanner on the bottom pulley you will see the tensioner slide back as you do it then return when the belt is on, it’s a bit like putting the chain back on a bicycle.
The belt looks a bit peed off about it, but it’s been O.K for 20k now so no harm done.
One other thought when I did mine I noticed the belt had several lumps out of the contact side, this could also be your problem, especially if you’re like me, apart from oil and filter don’t fix it if it’s not broke.

Back