Technical Self destructing diff

Currently reading:
Technical Self destructing diff

Neptune

Heard strange noice under the car - like running over a cardboard box. Had a look underneath but could see nothing. Drove about half a mile to get home and parked the car in my garage - the diff then deposited itself on the floor!

Attachments

• DSC_0008~1.jpg
    DSC_0008~1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Well guys it's a 1.6 Active Aircon with 12000 miles on it ! I've owned many cars over the years( I'm 61) and used to rally in my youth but never managed to destroy a transmission or engine. One exception was a Ford V6 I bolted into the back of a VW Microbus - didn't quite get the cooling right which resulted in a spectacular blowup! Car is booked into dealer for 4th Jan - will post an update after that.

Hi Neptune. Could you confirm the model of your Stilo for me. I have looked on the Fiat site and can't find an Active Aircon in a 1.6. Is this an early model that is discontinued now.Glad to meet someone on here my nearer my age as well I'm 58.

Hi Brian, Yes it is a 1.6 Active Aircon - 03 plate first registered August 2003. Possibly model range has changed as I see it is not offered as a current model. I have just crawled out from under the car & used a mirror to look at the damage. The entire diff casing has been destroyed so I am nor quite sure how the bits remained in place for the trip home. My guess is that the retaining pin on the shaft(pictured) fell out causing everthing to let go and when I stopped & reversed into my garage the bits then fell out of the hole.

I have an Active Sport and unfortunately when I bought it in march 04 aircon wasn't an option and still isn't. I have 6000 miles on it now, I hope I haven't got to look forward to my diff falling out when I get to 12k. It sounds like you were lucky to get home. Good job it's still under warranty.

Neptune said:
I have just crawled out from under the car & used a mirror to look at the damage. The entire diff casing has been destroyed so I am nor quite sure how the bits remained in place for the trip home. My guess is that the retaining pin on the shaft(pictured) fell out causing everthing to let go and when I stopped & reversed into my garage the bits then fell out of the hole.

Any chance of getting a photo under the car ?

Paul

I doubt very much if anything external was responsible - the area of damage is too high up and behind the engine - where the sideshafts meet. The shaft shown in the photo probably did the damage as it started to come adrift & rotated. To get a photo I would have to raise the car up which is a bit of a problem but will try tomorrow - my garage is so small you have to step outside to change your mind!

Hope this isn't overstating the obvious but that's the diff internals that have fallen out and I'd be very surprised if the car will move at all now. It'll need to be trailered with the front wheels off the ground back to the dealers.

Attachments

• diff.JPG
    diff.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 35
Neptune said:
I doubt very much if anything external was responsible - the area of damage is too high up and behind the engine - where the sideshafts meet. The shaft shown in the photo probably did the damage as it started to come adrift & rotated. To get a photo I would have to raise the car up which is a bit of a problem but will try tomorrow - my garage is so small you have to step outside to change your mind!

That sounds like far too much effort to go to for a photo!

I hope I'm agile enough to even consider that at 61 !!

Probably best to wait until the car is at the dealers - I'm sure they'll let you take a picy when its stripped out the car.

Paul

My daughter has a 1990 Vitara - I spend half my life under it! And fixitagaintomorrow, you have the right diagram!

Back