Technical Grande Punto steering problems

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto steering problems

hayz

Hi guys, new to this forum. Would appreciate any feedback on any problems people may have with their Punto's. My steering light keeps coming on, on the dash board. And the steering either goes real heavy or really light. All goes back to normal after switch engine off and restart! Sometimes its feels like the steering is grinding? Any ideas what it could be? The steering fluid is topped up?

My friend took it out a while ago to test my theory, but it seems absolutely fine!!!! Any help would be gratefully recieved!!!!

Yup the Power Steering is electric... so what fluid have you been topping up? ;)

Its worth making sure the battery is fully charged and holding the charge, loose alternator connection can cause this problem too. There is a chance you may need dealer attention if there is a genuine fault, but try the above followed by a Search and you will find some tips.

i had this exact problem with my grande punto, and my car is booked in to have its steering column replaced which is costing me £650! my car has just gone out of warranty and is three years old, all i can say is get it checked as its not likely to be the electrics and there is no power steering fluid as the steering is electric

i had this exact problem with my grande punto, and my car is booked in to have its steering column replaced which is costing me £650! my car has just gone out of warranty and is three years old, all i can say is get it checked as its not likely to be the electrics and there is no power steering fluid as the steering is electric

Chase FIAT directly! My car was out of warranty for 6 months (06 plate) and they repalced the steering motor as a goodwill gesture. If they hadn't I would have been paying a similar bill. I was pleasantly surprised shall we say...

Although judging by the fact that my alternator has gone tits up today, with what Mr Ffoxy was saying that may have been a contributing factor to my steering messing up in the first place and the garage had not spotted it :rolleyes: I am sure a power steering motor would very much dislike an up and down power supply.

Chase FIAT directly! My car was out of warranty for 6 months (06 plate) and they repalced the steering motor as a goodwill gesture. If they hadn't I would have been paying a similar bill. I was pleasantly surprised shall we say...

Although judging by the fact that my alternator has gone tits up today, with what Mr Ffoxy was saying that may have been a contributing factor to my steering messing up in the first place and the garage had not spotted it :rolleyes: I am sure a power steering motor would very much dislike an up and down power supply.

How did you go about this? Did you contact Fiat Hq?

How did you go about this? Did you contact Fiat Hq?

The garage I took my car to when the power steering failed did it for me. There's nothing to stop you from doing so too, should the garage not have any luck/bother at all.

Back