Technical Heater Mists up Windows?

Currently reading:
Technical Heater Mists up Windows?

andy20

ok, it is now winter=cold so turning the heater on would be a thought, however if i turn mine on it just mists all my windows up, and as its getting cold outside i have to resort to turning the cold air on to demist the windows= very cold. after doing a bit of searching on here i have found that this may be the heater matrix, so just wondering how difficult is this to repair/swap(im not to good with cars) or anyone got any idea how much id be looking at paying if i took it to a garage?
the heater also smells quite a bit when i turn it on, if that helps at all.

you could pick up a heater matrix for around £45-50 new and around £15-25 used. you would probably pay around 1 hour labour tops. try getting quote including parts if you don't know what to get. but if you know what to get then shop around for good deals.

i know this sounds stupid but i'm guessing you have the blower settings right? i always find closing the centre vents makes the blower more powerful against the front windscreen during winter, clearing the screen quicker.

also is there any heat coming out when you set the heater to hot or is it cool or not very hot at all, is there a smell of fumes? or any funny smells infact?

well thanks for the replys guys, im gonna try cleaning out the drainage pipes this weekend to see if that does the trick. and yes when i turn the heater on it does smell funny, yes it is blowing out hot air, yes i have all the settings right as in i am not recycling the air, and yes im pretty sure the coolant level is fine, well it was last time i checked and im pretty sure the heaters been doing this since i got it.

Have you got air-con?
Its pretty common if you have air con for this to happen when the air-con is off.
Can also get the bad smell from the air con.

Will defrost best with heating on full hot and aircon turned on together. full blower
When you turm off aircon probably mist up again but less bad when the engine is fully upto temp.

well i tried to check my drainage pipes this weekend, however im not sure if i done it right. i opened up the bonnet and pourned some water down the windscreen and it all seemed to drain out fine, and i could see all the water coming out some sort of pipe at the bottom onto the floor. does this rule out blocked drainage pipes?
and no i dont have air con

Pretty much yes. It sounds like the heater matrix is leaking. Change the coolant and add some RadWeld or similar. If the misting and smell persists you will need a new heater matrix.

Agreed if there is no leak there is no point, check the coolant levels

But I've never had Radweld cause any problems - though of course it wont work on huge holes.

For example, My mother's VW Golf had a leaking head gasket - not the actual bores just a crack in the gasket at the back. As a temporary fix I put in some radweld and the car ran fine for another 2 years with no more coolant loss.

Last edited:
Back