Technical camshaft position sensor

Currently reading:
Technical camshaft position sensor

sporting_adz

Hi, I've got a punto 1.2 16v sporting.Just changed the head gasket and am now getting missfires and read the code and its saying camshaft position sensor.Can anyone tell me where this is? Is it possible I disconnected it while changing the head gasket?

I think the timing is spot on. Only thing I can think is that when i had the head extension off the camshaft was rotated without the tools in but then I rotated it until the slots were lined up, and turnt the campulley to see which valves were opening and turnt the crank so could see which pistons were going up and which ones down.Worked out which one should be on exhaust etc.Could this be the problem?
where is the sensor so I can make sure that its connected up right.
One weird thing is I drove the car earlier and it was missfiring well kinda hesitating then I stopped and went inside and then went out in it again and all was good, then it came back again.

Yea the head was skimmed.I cleared the code earlier but its back just waiting on laptop to charge up so can read it again.

The code that i'm getting is p0340 - camshaft position sensor "A" circuit.

Is the cam sensor the one that is near the crank sensor? If so i disconnected this and started the engine and it ran the same.I'm thinking maybe I've got the cam set up wrong from when I rotated it.
This is what i did,

I rotated the crank and noted that pistons 2 and 3 were going up. I then rotated the cam so that the slots on both cams were lined up and checked which valves were opening, to check that pistons wouldnt hit the valves, but now thinking about it they may not be hiting but maybe not on the right stroke.Could this be the problem? Would the engine even run?

A bit late now, but you shouldn't have been moving the cams independantly.

It sounds like you are a tooth out somewhere.

Cheers

SPD

Would this make the cam position sensor record a fault? just seems strange that the car ran rough, then ran fine and then contiued to run rough since.
Looks like my weekend is going to be spent taking off the head extension and trying to retime.

Car is now not starting but is cranking over.Looks like you might be right with the timing being out. The other thing that I've thought of is the crankshaft sensor playing up.
Looks like I'll be taking the head extension off over the weekend, checking valves. Will check the crank sensor.
Does anyone know where the cam sensor connects outside of the block so that can get a multimeter to it?
Also does anyone know what sort of values I should get with a multimeter off the crank and cam sensor.
cheers

Make sure you've not trapped any wires when putting the covers back.
Set up the cams with the locking blocks. The #1 inlet cam should be pointing backwards and the #1 exhaust should be pointing forwards and the the othres should be symmetrical down the cam shafts.
The crank should be at top dead centre.
Ignore the timing marks until you know they are correct. Use a dowel down #1 plug hole to find TDC or better a DTI.
If its an 8v the same applies with the cam lobes but you *can* get away without the locking block. MUCH easier with it.

Does anyone know what position the cams should be on when the pistons are all on the mid stroke so that I can check I've got this correct.Do both slots on the cams only line up once?

Back