My Seat Marbella Cabrio

Currently reading:
My Seat Marbella Cabrio

Inward123

So following on from the Auction section I thought it best to introduce my new car. I purchased it mid Oct off EBay. I’ve wanted a project car for some time, the following criteria need to apply, needed to be £500 ish, have 4 seats and be around 4m to fit in my garage.

I was looking at Peugeot 205, Fiat Punto and the like... I was also after a part for my wife’s Seat Altea. Bang suddenly it jumps out at me “Seat Marbella Convertible”. So I’m interested it fits my criteria and I know it will go cheap. I watch and wait and one bid and £176 I own a 1990 convertible.

Collection and Condition

My initial thoughts were good and bad. The good points is there is zero rust, which I well impressed with the sills, underside and body only has one bit of rust the size of a 10p so this is a good start. The engine is in good nick, the oil was deep brown is cold but not “gunky” I checked for mayonnaise and nothing – few. The roof well this is bad it looks to have shrunk and it leaks slightly.

The interior ...well where do I start, It has the original hammock back seat (it stinks and is badly discoloured). The front passenger seat isn’t original and it doesn’t match the driver seat there’s a couple of puddles on the floor (thank god for the plastic flooring)

The adverts said “interior needs tidying” ...well little did I know that there are so many unemployed estate agents selling cars. To be fair I knew I was taking a gamble - it looks to have paid off.

Two weeks later

So I decide to go do the route of getting the MOT done and then panic! Rather than take a punt do some work and miss something it fails on the following

1. Driver’s seat insecure
2. Rear fog lamp tell tale not working
3. Windscreen blade broken
4. Rear number plate not working
5. Windscreen washer doesn’t work
6. Horn doesn’t work
7. Sidelight bulb out
8. Offside front disc too pitted
9. Brakes recording little or no effort
Well a week later
Bulbs, Blade, Horn front discs and pads and two rear cylinders it passes (yippee)
Next stop find an interior !!!!!!

Sounds like a very good buy for £176, no rust is a bonus aswell(y)

I'm not what the interiors are like in Marbellas. Are they the same as MK1 Pandas?

Does the conversion look like it was professionaly done? I'm interested to know how many were built, surely they must be very rare now?

Good work choosing this one as a project.... (y)

No rust, runs well, 12 months MOT, and I bet you still haven't spent all your £500 yet!

Are you going for a standard interior, or are you into something a bit more unique?

I quite fancied this myself but cannot take on any more Pandas / Marbellas at the mo.

Good luck with your project, it's really good that the car will now get some tlc. It's MOT'd and with a tidy you are not going to lose any money on it!(y)

No I shouldn't lose on it... But I need to find an interor for it. I've been offered a black and red patten one from a Seicento sporting but i'm not sure how easy it is to fit, I will PM VmanC but it's quite a distance away.

So if anyone has an interior or even the front two seats in the Kent/London Essex/surry/sussex it would be great to here from you.

From the sounds of it you could easily afford to get another rough Panda or Marbella and use it for spares. That way you'd have a complete matching interior that would bolt straight in and perhaps make a little money on the spares you don't need before scrapping it.

Just a thought: Don't the Marbellas accept the 4x4 drivetrain? Now that would be interesting...

Hi there,

They are very easy to work on arent they :D Lots of room around everything. The 4x4 can be a bit tricky in some cases, like oil changes where the sump plug comes out right next to the sump guard!! :bang: But as I was saying, suprising how quickly you can correct all the little problems! (y)

Good luck with the interior, I have gone for a minimilist interior now anyway :cool: (as if they werent enough minimal standard :eek:).

Cheers,
Si

No I shouldn't lose on it... But I need to find an interor for it. I've been offered a black and red patten one from a Seicento sporting but i'm not sure how easy it is to fit, I will PM VmanC but it's quite a distance away.

So if anyone has an interior or even the front two seats in the Kent/London Essex/surry/sussex it would be great to here from you.

If my seats are any good to you, and you can wait till the pre Christmas cruise, I could bring them with me and meet up somewhere. I also have the rear side panels to match. Everything is in good nick as the car was only on 35,000 miles when I took them out. If you want them and you can cover the cost of my pub lunch, they're yours! ;)

If you choose to go for a non Panda interior, I can give some advice on this. My 750L is my first and only attempt, and I am a comlpete amateur when it comes to trimming, but the Panda/Marbella is very easy to work with and can accomodate most seats for the front. If you want a matching rear seat your options are fewer. I found the Diahatsu sportrak rear seats to be very easy to fit as they don't need a top latch to secure them. So if you can find a set of seats and the rear doesn't need a top latch, you're laughing.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
From the sounds of it you could easily afford to get another rough Panda or Marbella and use it for spares. That way you'd have a complete matching interior that would bolt straight in and perhaps make a little money on the spares you don't need before scrapping it.

Just a thought: Don't the Marbellas accept the 4x4 drivetrain? Now that would be interesting...

that was my secret plan if I won it:devil:

Update : Service time.

I'm going to service the Marbella this weekend is there anything I need to know. I will also try to post some pictures soon.

Update : Service time.

I'm going to service the Marbella this weekend is there anything I need to know. I will also try to post some pictures soon.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just like the Panda they are a perfect vehicle for the reluctant mechanic (describing myself there :)).

Look forward to seeing some pics. My camera is definately dead by the way, but will get some to you asap :(.

Back