Technical Fiat 124 SC AC 1600 - early cooling system = failure?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 124 SC AC 1600 - early cooling system = failure?

Filip

Hi!
I have a problem with overheating.
Haynes tells of a early and a late cooling system, I'm guessing my 1600 should have the late system but the early one is installed.
The main difference is the placing of the thermostat, in the early system it's placed before the water pump and on the late it's placed at the top outlet(or inlet?).
With disconnected hoses the engine wants to flush out water from the top of the engine when it's running.
It seems the placement of the thermostat is going to block water from going to the radiator far beyond the time it should.
So should I just connect a late cooling system? Will it solve the overheating problem?
Thanks in advance
//Filip Arvidsson

Another question:
The seal/cap on the radiator is is connected with a spring that pushes the sealing down, and releasing at high pressure. Above the spring sealing the expansion bottle is connected, is this correctly connected?
Shouldn't the expansion bottle be able to fill the radiator? Now water should be able to pass the spring seal when going out of the radiator.
Should the expansion bottle be sealed or open?

Expansion bottles also have a cap but it is not usually a pressure cap on this design of system. The radiator cap is indeed a pressure cap and allows coolant out above a certain pressure into the expansion tank and back into the radiator when the pressure drops. Remind me again what symptoms are you getting that lead you to the conclusion that there is a fault?

Back