General Is it my car ? - warranty

Currently reading:
General Is it my car ? - warranty

AskCy

Just wondering as this will be my first "new" new car and somethings just occured to me... is it really mine ? (or will it be mine when it finally arrives) With my previous cars I have done all the work on them, changed things, added things, taken stuff away.... If I did this with the new car would they then say its had a none-fiat mechanic/person working on the car and the warrenty is now void ? Suppose I decided to fit a different air filter or different wheels ?.. tint the windows ?.. put an aftermarket stripe/stickers ?... or if I ordered FIAT extras that I didn't originally get on the car and fitted them myself etc... would they still do all the servicing, stamp my book and change any parts that needed it under warranty ? Steve

Just wondering as this will be my first "new" new car and somethings just occured to me... is it really mine ? (or will it be mine when it finally arrives) With my previous cars I have done all the work on them, changed things, added things, taken stuff away.... If I did this with the new car would they then say its had a none-fiat mechanic/person working on the car and the warrenty is now void ? Suppose I decided to fit a different air filter or different wheels ?.. tint the windows ?.. put an aftermarket stripe/stickers ?... or if I ordered FIAT extras that I didn't originally get on the car and fitted them myself etc... would they still do all the servicing, stamp my book and change any parts that needed it under warranty ? Steve

i'm not 100% sure what its like in other countries, but i believe the general consensus is that you are allowed to service your own car and still be able to keep the warranty. The only issue with this is stamping of book and resetting the computers service intervals. Someone will need to clarify this, but in Australia if you take it to a registered mechanic, he is allowed to service and stamp the book for you and you are still covered by warranty. The only thing though you have to be careful with is if you add a new part (ie. springs, filter etc) and fiat can prove that the part you added did damage to the item you're trying to claim under warranty, then it wont be covered. If you ordered fiat extras, and added them yourself, if you did the job correctly then there shouldn't be any reason whatsoever as to why your car would lose its warranty.

I find that when it comes to a warranty claim, it depends whether the work you have done affects the failed parts.
My example, I replaced my front pads and discs on my previous Panda whilst within its warranty. I used original Fiat parts and did the job to save a few quid and because I'm obsessional about brake work and am prepared to spend ages cleaning everything up carefully.
At the end of the car's warranty it required a new drop link on the front suspension and the dealer didn't worry about the brake work.
Maybe if a brake problem needed to be repaired they would have looked into it more closely.

Back