General 70s c/f 60s noise levels

Currently reading:
General 70s c/f 60s noise levels

It seems to me that my old 84 70s is much quieter inside than my 88 60s. I wonder is this my imagination.

The only difference I can see, is the bonnet padding in the 70s.

Is there anything else I can do to quieten my 60s.

Sounds to me like you need a pair of these:

AAAAAs01TUcAAAAAACRU4Q.jpg

:D

I was going to go for standard ear plugs, but thought you wouldn't feel cool enough wearing them, so I opted for the Hello Kitty ear muffs. ;)

It seems to me that my old 84 70s is much quieter inside than my 88 60s. I wonder is this my imagination.

The only difference I can see, is the bonnet padding in the 70s.

Is there anything else I can do to quieten my 60s.

The 70 models wouldn't be working as hard as the 60 models at similar road speeds. That would have an effect on noise levels between the them. Have you checked the exhausts between the two? If the 60 exhaust has rusty baffles it will definitely be louder than the 70. And the flimsy bonnet padding makes a surprising difference to noise levels also ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for replying

Noisy exhausts are easily fixed, that is no worry. Mostly I am talking about engine, gearbox and road noise. The gearbox is noisier, as is the engine, even when you are just starting it up. It is like engine noise is being transmitted into the cabin.

If the engine noise seems to be transmitted into the cabin, does your 60 still have the firewall padding? Some people remove those as they get manky with age, but they also have an effect on noise levels.

Don't forget that different tyres can make a big difference to road noise also. Some cheap and nasty tyres seem to 'roar' once the car is moving above 30mph. Thow in worn out roads and they can be quite intrusive.

As for engine and gearbox noise, all the usual apply - belts, tensioners, bearings, release bearings etc. There shouldn't be that much difference in engine noise between the 1116 and 1301 engines considering they are basically the same design. Excessive noise could be down to what I mentioned above, the fitted ancilleries or simply because one engine is more worn than the other.

One last thing, engine oil can make a difference. Has the 60 had an oil change recently?

Last edited:
Thank you.
That is a good check list.

Padding on the bulkhead is still there, yes it could be tyres, re the road noise.
Cheapo type, 155 70/13, engine oil is changed with new filter, new fanbelt, some noise from alternator bearings, but I am a bit suspicious about the gearbox, clutch trust rattles on idle and the synchros are past their use by date, so the gearbox bearing might not be good.

I am about to change the engine mounts so we will see what happens there.

And I can't complain too much, it was a $200.00 X students car. The maintenance was non existent.
Oil mist had sprayed all over everything, due to the breather pipe not being in the aircleaner and the oil was rubbish when I got it.

It smoked terribly on start up the first time I drove it. No it does not smoke or fume at all.
So I will just have to work through it.

What I really want is the electric window regulator and motor for the right front door, I can get a new one for $195.00, but that is what I paid for the whole car, just doesn't seem right!

Last edited:
kwik fit have a bargain on right now-
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp

Go for "Vehicle search"

Firestone F590 Tyre Size 135/80T13 - £22.78 each if booked online
Pirelli P3000 Tyre Size 135/80T13 - £24.18 each if booked online
Quality Budget Brand Tyre Size 135/80T13 - £25 each if booked online

In other words, their badass tyres are cheaper than the cheapo ones.

I'm tempted to buy now for the future, was going to go for the Firestones I think.

Not sure how much their shipping to New Zealand will be though :(

I can vouch for the engine oil making a difference - I realised my Uno was quite loud, checked the oil and it was quite low, topped it up, and halved the noise level (well.. it seemed like it). Keep the oil topped up.

FIAT had a knack for creating certain items - steering wheels, soundproofing - in numerous different grades for the different models.

I noticed also that the 70 models were quieter than the 60 models. I think the difference is down to the quality of the soundproofing materials. The underfelt/bitumen layer is ever-so-slightly better in the 70, and the door skins have meagre squares of bitumen to give a more solid sound when the door closes. Also, if you look closely, the bulkhead soundproofing is thicker on the 70 - on the 60 and 45, the soundproofing is little more than cardboard with a soft furry coating.

You can easily improve the soundproofing of the floor and doors. Start by scaping off any material that is brittle or cracked - that won't be achieving much any more - and then for a budget solution, use 'brush on sound deadener' (black underseal, also known as road-in-a-can by my friends), to stick sheets of vinyl flooring in place. Then go to Bunnings Warehouse or similar to buy 'Mover's Blanket', which is a soft grey material made of chopped-up clothes and other recycled fibres, very similar to the underfelt sold by an upholsterer/motor trimmer shop.

I think we've talked about sound deadening on the forum a few times over the years, so could be worth a search (y)

-Alex

Thank you to all posters.

It is good to know it is not just my imagination that the 70s is quieter.
I will set about quietening my 60s down after I have fixed the other issues.

Clonking in the suspension, it has new shockies, carb hunting, excessive fuel consumption (sometimes) no power, (sometimes) and an oil leak. A new thread for the oil leak.

Back