Technical milky residue on oil cap, got me stumped

Currently reading:
Technical milky residue on oil cap, got me stumped

chaos123007

i have a 1.2 1998 16v 85 punto.

amongst other problems i have noticed a milky residue in the oil cap, i have changed the oil and there was nothing in the old oil.

its not over heating and its not lossing water.

can anyone help.

thanx

This is water in the oil causing the creamy emulsion you describe. There are normally two causes:

1: Short drives in cool weather when the engine doesn't get warm enough to burn off the condensation inside the engine.

2: A leak of water into the engine caused possibly by a faulty cylinder head/gasket.

You need to hope it is 1 above!!

Tony

hi thanx for the advice, had a p reg punto with head gasket prob but it only cost me £150 to fix but again im hopein its no that either, got all kinds of probs with this car already

If there is oil in the coolant you need to worry, but its more likely too many short journeys where the engine never gets warmed up. Petrol burns to water and carbon dioxide so when its cold there's lots of water about to trickle down past the piston rings.
Its also worth checking the thermostat is allowing the engine to get properly hot. They tend to stick so the engine gets over-cooled in which case you need a new one.

cheers guys, will change the thermostat im also goin to chain the plugs and air filter as im having that usual punto loss of power

is there a way of checking the water pump operation, ave changed the thermostat as my car was blowing cold air and now it heats up no problem.

reason for changing thermostat was a slight milky residue in my oil cap, apart from it not working either lol.

car did give off a skretch when i had replaced the thermostat, i assume this was the water pump getting rid of the air in the system

car heats up fine and sits and 1/4 most of the time and doesnt go above half.

what causes a thermostat to fail ?

Thermostats are a mixture of waxes, they do 'just fail' with old age.

Remember that if your car engine temp sensor (not neccesarily the one that makes the gauge work) is seeing too high or too low a temp the mixture will be affected, which will upset the smooth running.

Bleed the cooling system, I presume you used the correct coolant.

Cheers

SPD

most of my cars have sat about half for temp.

erm not sure had some coolant in car and just topped it up ?

how to i check the water pump ?

cheers

hi, thanx for that, changed coil pack the day just been oot for a spin runnin like a dream again.

pump seems to work fine i think?.

top pipe is hot and the bottom pipe slightly less hot but still hot?.

thanx

Back