i cleaned the engine and now....boy oh boy oh...

Currently reading:
i cleaned the engine and now....boy oh boy oh...

fiatnewbee

hello there,
i am not only new to owning a fiat but a car in general. i went online yesterday to read on the proper way to clean a fiat engine. i decided to do this because the car has an oil leak somewhere and i wanted to narrow down the possibilities. anyway, that engine cleaning went rather well...the car started and all was good.
today i went to look at the engine and saw a few more oil pools here and there and wanted to clean the engine even more. i decided to use an engine oil eater and applied with a spray bottle. i let that sit for approx 20 to 30 mins. after that i used a 5 gallon bucket of water and a plastic container to pour the water over the areas i had sprayed down. this time however i was not able to get the car to crank. i dried some parts i thought may have gotten wet, and let the car air dry for most of the day. i went back out and cranked the car. it started and ran for 30 seconds and then died. i dried some more and let it sit. then tried again. nothing. i then tried to jump the car from a roll as it is a stick. nothing. i tried a few more times and nothing. i parked the car and came in the house.
i called the previous owner and he came over. dried more areas and tried again. nothing. tried to narrow down where the problem was. tried again. nothing. he called his mechanic to come by in the morning.
then at about midnight i thought i would try it again. this time the car cranked and started but sounded funny. then released the gas pedal and the car quit immediately. there is smoke coming from the tailpipe. i cranked the car again and it started but had to keep foot on gas pedal to keep car from shutting off. more smoke and the car sounded funny. then the car died again. anyway. did i get water in the fuel line? other possibilities? what do i do get at what the problem is and how do i fix the problem?
thank you in advance for your help.....i love this car and hope i didnt ruin it!!
fiatnewbee:confused:

Oooooeer.... now then... you have confused the numerous sensors I'm afraid.

Even once dried out oxidisation may remain an issue, check for water in the fusebox / boxes, the ECU connectors and see if you can locate all the engine management sensors which operate on low voltage changes, which the water is now corrupting.

News isnt good I'm afraid... engine washing should be avoided...

technically it is a 1978 fiat spider 124, but it is registered here in california as a 1981

you got acsess to an air line?

go round the engine bay undo each sensor in turn blow each connector dry then treat with a decent quality De wetting fluid (not WD-40 as it has a tendency to degrade plastics)

washing the engine bay is usually ok so long as your sparing with the water and use low pressures and quantity (watering can with a fine rose works fine for me) just think the engine bay gets a fair amount of water into it anyway in rain and spray....

Back