General Ciggy lighter in the glove compartment.

Currently reading:
General Ciggy lighter in the glove compartment.

I'm running my usb hard drive to my b&m which is great cause it holds all of my music, however the b&m doesn't supply the drive with enough power so i run another wire to the ciggy lighter via a converter but it is very messy with the wires everywhere.

I want to install another ciggy lighter socket in the glove compartment to keep it all tucked out of sight.

anyone know how i go about this?

I'm running my usb hard drive to my b&m which is great cause it holds all of my music, however the b&m doesn't supply the drive with enough power so i run another wire to the ciggy lighter via a converter but it is very messy with the wires everywhere.

I want to install another ciggy lighter socket in the glove compartment to keep it all tucked out of sight.

anyone know how i go about this?

get one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1056&C=brilliant2&U=Home & Car&T=Cigarette Extension
cut the plug off

drop the side panel off in the passenger foot well (see my Pollen filter guide)

draw the wire down the back of the glove box...

pop the gear gaitor off

pull wire through to there

tap into live and earth on fag lighter socket solder or scotch hooks (put a inline fuse holder in the live ((center tip of the holder))

get one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1056&C=brilliant2&U=Home & Car&T=Cigarette Extension
cut the plug off

drop the side panel off in the passenger foot well (see my Pollen filter guide)

draw the wire down the back of the glove box...

pop the gear gaitor off

pull wire through to there

tap into live and earth on fag lighter socket solder or scotch hooks (put a inline fuse holder in the live ((center tip of the holder))

Thats just what i needed! cheers!
Just a couple more Q's

Whats a scotch hook?

How do i know which is earth and live both on the new wire and the one i'm tapping into?

think he ment 'scotch-lock', (a rather crude connector for splicing into a original wire)

thats the one :)

dd00004yy_200x150.jpg

Ok cheers guys, think i'm gonna go with the solder and heat shrink.

I'm guessing i just solder the two ciggy lines straight to the one from the car. in a sort of Y shape?

yep thats what you want to do

(y)

the wires you want are red and black (live and earth respectively) the yellow thin wire is the illumination for the glow ring ((if fitted))

you will find it easyer to unplug it from the back of the lighter to get a bit more length to work on

Last edited:
Back