Technical Gears, Speedometer and major problems....

Currently reading:
Technical Gears, Speedometer and major problems....

appaz88

I was recently driving back home when i started to hear a whurring noise coming from gear box like a metal on metal scrapping. all of a sudden the speedometer started to spring up and down as if it had no idea how fast i was going, then the noise in gear box stopped and the speedometer does not register speed, as if it thinks the car is moving at 0mph, and finally there was an awful smell coming from the engine when i did finally get it home. This is a serious issue, as we have recently had a son. and i don;t want to drive the car with him in if it is not working to a 100% standard for his safety.

Does anyone know what could be wrong here? and how much it is likely to cost to repair? or is it a new car i need? lol

and this morning before i decided to just get the bus to work, i started the car up and the small red engine light came on. The car is a 2000 Punto 1.2 MIA, hope that helps you to help me diagnose the problem.

All the best.

Cheers in advance.

Sounds like it could be a serious issue with the gearbox (where the speedo sensor is). I'd get it into a garage and get a quote for work, but expect to pay a small fortune if you need a new/reconditioned gearbox.

getting it to a garage today, hopefully it won't be a major issue and i'll have it back on the road in no time! here's hoping lol.

Cheers for your help guys.

Back