Technical Punto Auto problem T reg 1.2 8v CVT

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Auto problem T reg 1.2 8v CVT

Galahad

Picked up a T reg Punto CVT today cheap, with a poorly gearbox.

Lacks power when you pull away, if you try and do it in L gear, she judders.

Struggles to get up hills, but then sometimes will just sail up them like it didn't have a problem.

What can I look at on this car to see if its saveable?

Missus is pig sick of the fuel economy on her Rover 620, and wants another Punto sized car and this one would be ideal as it didn't cost very much.

Shes filled up with gearbox oil, whether its the correct oil I don't know (Is CVT oil a different colour to ATF fluid?)

its usually very expensive to fix unless your an automatic gearbox refurbisher.

usually the powder clutch or the brushes.

can you drive manual? its usally alot cheaper to conver it to a manual if so, also better cos the cvt gearbox is hardly great.

Yeah thats what i've been thinking to get hold of another car, but i'm loathe to destroy another Punto because they are such good sellers.

Yeah thats what i've been thinking to get hold of another car, but i'm loathe to destroy another Punto because they are such good sellers.

if your confident in taking the gearbox apart then you should be able to get the parts, there is another manufacturer which uses same parts i believe, i might be nissan, but i cant remember tbh, someone else should know.

what ever you do tbh, dont fit a second hand auto gearbox, they are so common its not worth the risk.

if your confident in taking the gearbox apart then you should be able to get the parts, there is another manufacturer which uses same parts i believe, i might be nissan, but i cant remember tbh, someone else should know.

what ever you do tbh, dont fit a second hand auto gearbox, they are so common its not worth the risk.

They are rare as hens teeth. We've had another CVT before with a knackered box, but luckily we had a manul Punto with HG failure and needed a radius arm for the MOT and this Auto had all the bits the other one needed.

Failing that, buying a HG failure or knackered Punto and taking the engine out of this one, because its really not very pretty at all, for a T reg its in shocking condition.

Back