Technical Fuel smell??

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel smell??

Hi
I'm a new owner of a 2000 Seicento Sporting [1108cc]. It's a chariot for me to take my young son to nursery in next year!!
Anyway, there is a noticeable whiff of petrol when driving along in slow moving traffic with the windows down! Normal driving on the open road, windows up, no problem.
When parking up and exiting the car, there is a distinct fuel smell as you get out. It's definitely worse outside the car. Nothing from under the bonnnet or around the exhaust, so I thought it might be fuel tank related or perhaps a leaky fuel pipe or breather. Where to start first?
Is this a common problem with this model?
Any advice?
Cheers
Tim

From how your describing, it sounds like when my fuel tank started to leak at the seems, but i would check all hoses and clamps around the tank just incase

hope that helps

Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas as to why I had a fuel smell outside the car. It was indeed a split in the fuel tank near the top and only leaked when the tank was quite full and the car was moving around.
All sorted under warranty!:)
:confused:Unfortunately, I now find I am adding almost a litre of antifreeze to the expansion chamber every week or two and there are no obvious leaks on the ground.
Am I correct to suspect a dodgy head gasket or are these cars prone to use water?

If you think its head gasket check you oil filler cap to see if theres any white sludge in it.

The white sludge is made when water reacts with the oil

Back