General adjusting handbrake disc on rear

Currently reading:
General adjusting handbrake disc on rear

sporting chap

Hi.my sporting has rear disc brakes. The off side operates but wont hold. Could this be air in the system? :confused:

Ahh, just re-read the title (thought I had read the word 'handbrake' somewhere). The mechanism is completely independent of the hydraulic system, so air in the system won't be the cause. Get someone to crawl under the car and watch the handbrake mechanism on the back of the caliper whilst you activate he handbrake. If it doesn't move, then the cable on that side is likely snapped.

Thanks for that.
The cable rubber coating looks swollen in places. So does this mean internal rust?
The calipers are an addition , would the origional cables from the drum brakes be the correct length? Just one other thing , i adjusted the cables at the handbrake until the rear disc locked then let off the strain on the cable, but the disc stayed locked solid.Only after manipulating the cable did the arm rotate slightly and the disc release.

Last edited:
From the symptoms you describe it sounds like the cable has corroded internally, causing it to seize up. I am afraid the drum cables and disc cables are different, so you will need a new cable suitable for your car from somewhere like shop4parts.co.uk or www.brakeparts.co.uk. On the disc brake system, the left and right cables are identical, unlike the drums.

Thanks very much. That will explain why i cant adjust the cable enough . It is in one case too short and the other not able to pull past a certain point, i will buy two new ones the same length for the disc model.

Hello again.You seem very clued up on the punto.Do you mind if i ask you some other questions? I will wait for your reply.

Back