General any one tried the 1.3MJ in a Doblo?

Currently reading:
General any one tried the 1.3MJ in a Doblo?

thinking of a late Doblo to replace a diesel Berlingo. Any views? Are they up to the job in something that big? I think they are are up to 85bhp in the Doblo.

Personally, I feel the MJ is actually more harmonic when it's got a bit of weight to move around. It's very eager to do harder work than just carrying around a Panda+driver, so the heavier Doblo should be no problem at all.

One thing I've heard is that the 90hp 1.3 MJ can be rather laggy due in part to a rather high output/litre for a diesel and also due to the variable-geometry turbo. Once you hit the boost it should hustle along nicely, though.

sounds good. seen a base 5 seat 57 plate (sept 07) 27k miler for £5900 at a dealer in scotland. Seems cheap but the Glasses Guide valuations (on the free Vauxhall site) seem to pitch it even lower...

I have a mate with one he is a sparks and uses it for his business..he said its a slow vehicle but had no problems with it so far..they are very popular as well with the taxi brigade here is South wales..

Prefacelift Doblos had the lower hp engine fitted.

I think the 85bhp engine would be OK, as it has far better power and torque curves than bigger engines not long ago.
Loaded with a headwind might not be fun but otherwise it should roll along nicely.

Not sure how much economy benefit there is with the little engine working hard.

Was considering a Doblo due to having to soon carry a baby and my mountain bike around but having seen one (not driven) I am erring towards the Multipla although only 120bhp option and no sliding rear doors.

the reason I dont want a diesel Multipla is the dual mass flywheel - expensive clutch changes. Saying that, does a more powerful MJ warrant a DMF:eek:

It ain't very good in the panda, so a doblo would unlikely be an improvement I'd think.
yawn.

oh well, I've just gone and bought a Multipla. I only went out to go to the library and it sought of happened...
facelift eleganza. same colour as the panda. what are people going to think...

We have a 1.3MJ Family 2007 and a Doblo JTD Cargo 2002. The van, even with a full load is much quicker and more economical than the car. The car is quite laggy but once the turbo is in it fairly moves along. It isn't as laggy as the 95 Vectra 1.7TD we had before it. The turbo isn't as sudden at 2k. It is harder on the road than the van too. The engine runs faster too, 3k rpm in the van equates to 90mph whereas 4k rpm in the car (on a private road of course!).

Well worth a look though.

Yup, tried the 1.3 3 years ago when we first test drove a Doblo.

Cracking engine, and we thought it was the 1.9JTD! lol. Dealer gave us the wrong vehicle to test drive.

If Goat wasn't doing long motorway journeys, then I'd certainly opt for the 1.3 diesel without a second thought. Excellent engine. However, we went with the 1.9 option as we do big motorway miles (670 yesterday from Switzerland for instance).

I have also driven the Panda version a few days ago, and again, cracking engine. Doesn't even sound like a diesel, and it seriously appeals to my tight fisted side as it cruises around town with the mpg showing anything between 80-100mpg.

no problem 1300 multijet doblo cargo van o8 model pulls my caravan and boat no problem also, even with caravan i get 32 to the gallon normally 40-50 to the gallon, cruises all day on the motor way at 80 on the autostrada. not as fast as our 1.9 multipla and definately not as fast as our coupe 20v turbo

Does this mean my thought process was correct or was the Multipla cheap? If so thats what i was looking for!

well, some interesting variables!
The Multipla is excellent - I'd avoid the 120 because the experience seems to be that they return less to the gallon and have the dratted Diesel Particulate Filter.
It was very good value yes - it still is now its for sale - but I bought as stop gap to try it and see if its up to lugging stuff around (its a bit fragile in comparison to Doblo and Kangoo and Berlingo), on the premise that having had new clutch, suspension, handbrake cables, cambelt and waterpump all done, it was a bit of a no brainer! (Added to that nice 17" wheels and sunroofs and tints - somebody specced it well)
I'm still deciding though - the Panda MJ is returning 63ish mpg but I dont know if its good enough considering its size (when an old Passat Estate can do 55mpg) and I'm hankering after the Doblo experience for its flat load bay... but now presuming it will have a DPF for its 85bhp? (The Panda 70bhp fortunately gets away without).

The new 1.3 MutijetII with 95bhp, as fitted (soon) to the 500, and then to be rolled out on other Fiats, gives between 55 and 83 mpg. However, the 2010 Doblo will only get the current 1.3, with 90 bhp and poorer emissions and fuel consumption. Why?

The fact is the MultijetII is a brilliantly economical engine and delivers wadges of torque low down, however, until Fiat fits it to all its products many buyers will be getting second best.

It supposedly has an improved DPF too.

Back