Technical HeadGasket Change Progress (pics)

Currently reading:
Technical HeadGasket Change Progress (pics)

DAVE_RSi

Hi all!

Currently half way through changing a friends headgasket on her 1.1 8v 55sx Punto, fortunately shes away at uni so i've had plenty of time just to do things when I've got the time

Using a guide from this site it's been pretty easy with the right tools

Symptoms were, overheating, oil confirmed in the water by an AA test, power delivery wasnt smooth and a bit jerky at times, high pressure in the coolant tank (enough to blow the cap off once apparently) losing water.
There was no mayo like oil though, oil is really clean

anyway everythings came off ok so far and I'm just waiting for the last couple of quotes on having the head skimmed, so far the cheapest I've had is £55. Was hoping for cheaper really so I'll see how today goes. Doesn't seem to be many places near me that do it though (Colchester)

Number 1 spark plug was covered in oil, the one nearest the cambelt, the rest were clean!

As you can see the headgasket isn't actually that bad is it? although it looks alot thinner than it should be at the top of the first cylinder and the water jacket?

Need to change the auxillary belt aswell as thats quite worn, and might change the waterpump aswell to be safe
Hopefully I can get the skim done for more like £40 as she wants me to sell the car once its up and running and said we can split whatever it sells for

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:
That was the first major job I ever done on a car, its a nice engine to work on.

Had a couple of quotes for the head skim
first was £60, 2nd was £35 if I remove the cam first

Fingers crossed it all goes back together ok once the heads back and it no longer overheats! new thermostat and waterpump will be fitted and the fan runs ok

If you can get hold of a SPESSO make gasket it's well worth the extra cost much tougher than the standard crap. A SPESSO race quality gasket is the ultimate totally bombproof! but expensive kevlar wth large fire rings -all head gaskets should be made that way!!

Last edited:
Well the heads off to be skimmed this week

how clean should things be before I hand it over, the head is obviously pretty dirty and oily

I've cleaned the side that'll be skimmed a bit, some of the old gasket was stuck on hard so had to get that off, then just degreased it a bit

little concerned about this below as it appears to have broken away a bit from rust I'm guessing

IMG_1597.jpg

thats not nice looking to be honest. Is that piston 1 or 4? (piston 1 being the one away from the gearbox). If its piston 1 then i would defo get a new head as replacing the gasket isnt going to do much, maybe only let it run, at most, 3 months then it will need done again.

This was a great help now i understand what the mechanic is talking about this should be in the guides part, mods :)

Ok, My bad lol I was looking under the Punto Section

It's a good guide anyway and really does give me a better look at what the mechanic is talking about.

I was told it cost so much cause it's at the bottom of the car under the battery area, but by looking at these pictures it's clearly not lol.

Ok, My bad lol I was looking under the Punto Section

It's a good guide anyway and really does give me a better look at what the mechanic is talking about.

I was told it cost so much cause it's at the bottom of the car under the battery area, but by looking at these pictures it's clearly not lol.

Change your mechanic.

Cheers

SPD

In the big scheme of things, a new head wont be too costly. Regrind/lap the valves and fit now oil seals and valve seals while you are at it. Its also well worth using the best head gasket you can get. Unless you know its new I would also fit a new cam belt and water pump. For what they cost why risk the hassle of it losing some teeth. When done use a decent coolant with distilled water and keep it topped up with the same stuff. Tap water causes this sort of corrosion.

Back