Technical Gearbox Mount

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Mount

Georgesdad

Hello all, new member here looking for any help from my fellow Fiat owners.

We have an imported motorhome based on a 1989 Ducato LWB chassis cab; it's a left hand drive with manual 5 speed column change box and a non turbo 2.5 diesel engine. I think the plant is actually Iveco as opposed to Fiat as that is the only parts such as filters etc that fit.

Any way, the van is quite noisy and vibrates a lot too, so much so that when moving at say 50 or above the gears drop out from 5th and you're coasting! This doesn't happen if you keep your foot down, only when you back off the power so I guess that the engine moving in the mounts is at least a part of the issue.

I've been underneath with the engine ticking over and placed a bottle jack under the gearbox mount which has a lot of travel in it and that seems to reduce the vibration when I lift to the point where the pin should sit? (In the centre of the rubber bush)

Does any of this sound familiar to you experienced Fiat owners?

Does anyone know of a reputable dealer of parts that can provide the bits at a reasonable cost?

Thanks in anticipation

Kind regards

Simon & Kerry (y)

yes, had a new mount recently. cheap as chips, and is a thick bit of rubber which when defective knocks when power is put on and off again. when done, it makes a difference.

Thanks for replying, it's much appreciated.
Do you know where the mount was bought from?
Not even my local Fiat dealers can supply a part number.
I believe that there are two diameters for the rubber bush / pin support?

Cheers

:confused: Simon

i recently had to change a gearbox mount as engine rock was severe, could feel the whole vehicle rock as it was revved. my mount came from fiat but its not as old as urs. i have the same prob of ot falling out of fifth gear when driving but mine is more due to the gearbox needeing attention rather than the mount. u might be able to find something in the archives which may help. i have found fiat dont always want to give out part no's, perhaps u may want to take off th eexisting mount and see if it has a part no printed on it. good luck oh maybe autodata may be able to help

5461 Todd, where did you get your gearbox mount from please, you mention cheap as chips?? we have been quoted £63.00 !! that includes the metal retaining bracket as well though,
it appears general parts suppliers do not sell this part for a 1988 model, regards ..........FF

Hi there Fistral Fig. If you can find one the Quinton Hazell part number is EM2091 which is the 70mm diameter one, no number for the larger diameter but yours should be the smaller on an '88.
Try googling that number and try different motorfactors too, Euro Car Parts are nationwide and seem to have some parts for these older vans.
Failing that you could have the centre pressed out and a readily available 70mm engine bracket bush fitted. The Scudo, Peugoet Expert & Citroen Dispatch are still fitted with this inner it seems. I can't guarantee it will work but on paper it should.
Look on ebay for RKCOMPONENTS who sell a non genuine insert delivered for £13.

Hope thats of some help.

regards

Simon (y)

Last edited:
Just been to Euro Car Parts to pick up two top mountings that were ordered yesterday, they look right but won't be sure until I fit them.
If anyone is interested then I will post part numbers on invoice, they are from the FEBI stable.
Whilst there I asked to look at a bush as mentioned in the previous post by myself.
Euro part number 337545010 at £7.50 + VAT and I'm now more confident that this could replace the centre part of our lower gearbox mounts using the 70mm centre. A friendly person with a bearing press and some skill could do it no problem I reckon.
Sorry but I forgot to ask if they sell the whole thing, no reason why not though if you ring them.

regards

Simon :)

Thanks for the info Georgesdad. We had already ordered the new mount. (Ferry booked for midday Friday.) we picked it up today and guess what, it was an 85mm!!! ( Fiat part number 0007755436) On comparing it with the old one it was all just that much bigger. The supplier rang the Fiat dealer who supplied it and they comfirmed the 70mm one was no longer available.They allowed us to take it to see if we can make it fit and will take it back if no good. On comparing it with the old one it's 20mm longer, but the gear box mounting holes are the same. Armed with your new information we will try to source a 70mm one tomorrow. If that fails I have a plan to alter the mounting bracket by welding plates on the side and moving the holes 20mm along and 10mm down. No doubt the 85mm is a much heavier duty void bush and will be a good upgrade and easy replacement in the future. I will let you know how we get on.
Yes engine mount part numbers will be handy please.
Kind regards
FF.

Any of the Fiat / Citroen / Peugoet should be able to supply you with a modified bracket for bolting to the chassis which will then accept the larger mounting that you have bought.
I'm not sure of the part number but their systems should tell you straight away.
A number of people I've read posts by have done exactly the same thing because it's just a copy of what the manufacturers did to the vehicles when they upgraded.
All 3 badge variants were built in the same factory and this larger mounting was introduced before the later model was released I believe.
PS a guy is selling one on ebay at the moment, genuine part but I'm not sure whether it's for the 70 or 85mm version. He does however list the Citroen oem part number as 1807.74, look at his listing no. 330353777885.
He's in Huddersfield.
Where are you?
Euro Car Parts are by far your best chance for a quick solution, inter branch stocking and arrives next morning if ordered in time.
Other than that try the scrapyards?

regards

Simon (y)

Last edited:
Hi Fistral Fig, second reply to your last post.
Today I have fitted one of the new top mountings, near (or passenger) side made by Febi, their part number is 14189, Euro Car Parts sel it for £18.25 + VAT under their part number 337 58 0730.
I haven't done the other top mounting yet as a deeper socket is needed and the friendly neighbour ain't home yet.
As for the offending lower mounting with the 70mm diameter, Euro stock that under number 337 735 22, or so they tell me at a cost of £39.50 + VAT which is less than I paid for mine!
If you're absolutely desperate then you can have mine which is still waiting for me to fit it, you can have it at my cost price no problem as getting a replacement won't be a problem for me. Catching the ferry is for you though!
I'm in Staffordshire so this offer is relevant to your location as you'll need to collect it tonight really.
My e mail is [email protected] which will come through to my phone if I'm out and about.

Regards

Simon

Well Georgesdad what can I say, but you have a heart of gold,!!!!!!!
have just come in from finishing it off and only just seen your post, well we rang Euro car parts as you suggested , ( we are in Essex by the way) woodford branch, and said there was one in Wembly, but didnt know what size it was, so we rang Wembly and asked them to measure it for us, they duly rang back and said it was 70mm, so back on to Woodford and asked them to get it sent over, this was 10 am, by just gone 12.30pm it was in,
this was part number 337735220 and made by Corteco, and was £39.50 +vat= £45.43 in total, what a brilliant service, they were our saviour, its all fitted now, and thanks again for that post George and your kind offer of your mount, I hope this info helps others, BTW George that bracket on ebay was the modifyied one,but too far away, you can tell by the centre bolt hole? its not real close to the edge of the bracket upright, but about an inch away, the trip is my son and 3 friends, but have been helping with getting it ready, thanks again, regards FF

No problem FF, it's nice to be nice as I was told when younger.

I think that I'm going to fit one of those bushes to my old one when it's taken off the machine just to see if it works?

A spare may well be handy!

Regards

Simon (y)

Yes that may be a good idea, if they are getting hard to get, I will not throw our old one away then, as while you have one to play around with, without having to lay the vehicle up is much easier, you could start up an exchange service, if you need an old one let me know, [email protected] regards FF

Georgesdad and Fistral Fig - thanks very much for your discussion and info: I've just ordered a rear mounting for my '88 Ducato from Euro car parts. Will let you know if there are any problems.

I anticipate the problem repeating as I have a very slow leak of gearbox oil which is probably what weaken the bushings. In future, I should just replace the bushings I imagine. Is it straightforward enough to get just the bushings, rather than entire mounting?

Were the vibrations really severe and would they pretty much go away when you got to about 60mph i have a very similar problem with my ducato and really massive vibrations and clunking and metallic knocking noises if its only an engine mount ill be so happy ive been thinking drive shafts and worse did you experience any of these symptoms also?

great choice of van!! best of luck with her

Back