Technical Car Wont Move!

Currently reading:
Technical Car Wont Move!

BoBdOgOAFC

We Are... !DISTURBED!
Hi all

Heres the problem - When I put it into 1st and release the clutch theres no drive.
When i put it into 1st and just let the clutch out no stall!
Then when i select reverse no reverse.

Ive taken my punto to a garage and they said they are 90% sure its the gearbox, they wanted 700quid to fix it.
So i found somebody who would fix it for 120quid if i got the gearbox.

But i dont want to go and spend like 200quid for a gearbox and that not be the problem seen as tho the garage are only 90% sure! :bang:

HELP!

checked the driveshafts?

Its not unheard of for splines to be stripped.

also, what was the clutch like when it was working?

just seems odd theres no drive at all, of course it could always be a broken selector mechanism.. but with gearboxes its more common to have problems getting in and out of gear.. whining etc, worn / damaged syncros.. but not.. no drive at all. for that to happen you would litterally have to strip all of the teeth off the gears on the main shaft and lay shaft... or around the ouside of the differential. Easy check would be.. can you get any motion in any gear?

if its no gears, then as long as its not a broken selector mechanism then id rule the gearbox out as being at fault, because you have pairs of gears for each gear selection.. and you couldnt of damaged every gear in the gearbox.

So id be looking at the clutch and driveshaft splines initially.

Last edited:
Differential. The 1242cc puntos (I'm assuming this is yours) use a shrink-fit crown gear on the differential like the Bravo 1.4 and I'm guessing this is what's gone. Assuming you're clutch was fine before, but either way you're going to have to take the gearbox off and it would make sense to change the clutch anyway.

Do you know the gearbox number? I have a Fiat gearbox overhaul manual so if you know the number I can look to see what type it is and if this is a possibility. I think it would be a C.514.5.10

Best bet is to take the gearbox out and take the diff cover off. If it's knackered get a scrapper gearbox + diff for say £120, that's what I did.

Be careful because if the diff is slipping and then locks with the clutch out in gear you will wreck the engine as the timing belt won't hold that force.

Et voila:

EDIT: just read your other thread on the same problem, classic diff slipping.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for you replies!

Ive booked it into the garage now and they think its the gearbox.

So they are going to have a look and see what needs doing, I think its something to do with the clutch because its not biting. Before it happened I had no problems with the gears no grinding ect. Just started to loose power the maxed out at 40mph. I slowed down and it wouldnt move, just felt like it was constansley wheelspinning and not biting at the gears.

Luke

Hi thanks for you replies!

Ive booked it into the garage now and they think its the gearbox.

So they are going to have a look and see what needs doing, I think its something to do with the clutch because its not biting. Before it happened I had no problems with the gears no grinding ect. Just started to loose power the maxed out at 40mph. I slowed down and it wouldnt move, just felt like it was constansley wheelspinning and not biting at the gears.

Luke

If you replace the clutch you will have the gearbox off so you might as well check the diff at the same time for the symptoms in my pics. It's a lot more expensive to put the box back on and still find yourself with no drive. ;)

Yeah thats what the garage said where its booked in tomorrow.

They said if they take gearbox out and see the clutch it messed up they will just replace that and charge 200 for it, but if not they will do the gearbox aswel.

hey ive got the same problem with my punto but i had a new clutch init and its still not working what have i done ?

thanks Med:)

Yeah thats what the garage said where its booked in tomorrow.

They said if they take gearbox out and see the clutch it messed up they will just replace that and charge 200 for it, but if not they will do the gearbox aswel.

All you have do to check the diff is take off 10 bolts or something like that and have a look, only takes 5 minutes. Saves time because if it has gone you haven't wasted time putting gearbox back on for nothing. (y)

Last edited:
All you have do to check the diff is take off 10 bolts or something like that and have a look, only takes 5 minutes. Saves time because if it has gone you haven't wasted time putting gearbox back on for nothing. (y)

God i wish you were my local garage man! lol
Its in now but wont find out the problem till later this week, I hope they do all that what you say before actually taking the whole engine apart!

Ill update you when she comes home (if she does) :(

Hi guys

Garage finished fixing my car today - the problem was the clutch and the diff in the gearbox.

So had a new clutch and gearbox fitted, cost me £700 quid tho, but who cares I love my baby lol (y):slayer:

Cheers

Back