Technical Multijet starting

Currently reading:
Technical Multijet starting

Does anyone else's multijet sometimes start a bit, rough? Like it hasn't built up enough diesel pressure to start smootly. I find giving it a few seconds beyond the glow plug light makes for a much smoother start.

Then again it is nearly at 36,000 miles so perhaps the diesel filter is full of crud!

My 1.9 Mjet 120 starts fine from cold first thing in the morning, and when hot. However, a cold start on a warm afternoon can be less good. I think the glow plugs think the engine is warmer than it is, and cut out earlier. Try waiting for the glow plug light to go out, switch of, and then try to start.

Last edited:
Yes ours does something similar, the engine sort of lurches (hard to describe!). Its getting a new diesel filter in 2 weeks so will monitor after that!

Think I have posted this before but my multijet doesn't like starting straight from the glow-plug warm up, it knocks quite badly sometimes. I get round this by turning the ignition on to warm the glow-plugs, and listen for the fuel pump to stop whirring. Starts up smoothly every time! :)

Think I have posted this before but my multijet doesn't like starting straight from the glow-plug warm up, it knocks quite badly sometimes. I get round this by turning the ignition on to warm the glow-plugs, and listen for the fuel pump to stop whirring. Starts up smoothly every time! :)

I think you find that the glow plugs have a temperature sensor and will not come on with these sort of outdoor temperatures we having, The engines are so good they hardly use them even in the winter!!

After-heating?????

To quote the manual:

"Turn the ignition key to AVV as soon as the warning light turns off. If you wait too long you will lose the benefit of the glow plugs. Release the key as soon as the engine starts"

Does anyone else's multijet sometimes start a bit, rough? Like it hasn't built up enough diesel pressure to start smootly. I find giving it a few seconds beyond the glow plug light makes for a much smoother start.

Then again it is nearly at 36,000 miles so perhaps the diesel filter is full of crud!

Mine is similar - it kind of lurches into life (with a noticeable puff of smoke) but always starts first time though.

I tend to wait for the 'whirring' to stop and then turn the key which makes for an easier start and no excess smoke.

mine was doing knocking/banging/virbrating so i replaced the lower link rod that goes from the bottom of the gearbox to the subframe and its been fine ever since

Have a look in the Grande Punto section. I for one have problems starting my Mjet sporting.
Perhaps similar issues? (y)

Last edited:
Back