Technical Engine management light and power steering issues.

Currently reading:
Technical Engine management light and power steering issues.

xlcd190x

Couple of weeks ago on my mk2. Punto my power steering went stiff and the power steering light came on, was on my way to work so was much I could do at that point. Came to drive home and it was fine. Got home did a bit of research and from what I can gather it's seems to be a common problem and restarting the car can temporarily fixes it. It happened again a couple of days later but then has been fine for 3 weeks or so.

But yesterday my engine management light came on, steering was fine car seems to be running ok but there is a unusual knocking sound coming from somewhere in the engine area, (sounds like it's from front bottom left area, dad suspects mght be a coming from the water pump, could be wrong).

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on wheather the engine management light coming on could be related to the power steering issue i had a couple of weeks ago or wheather I have two possible problems? And if the knocking sound could be coming from the water pump and wheather this or something related would cause the engine management light to come on?

Apoligises if that's a bit long winded. Thanks in advance.

No they arn't connected

as Mk2's get on the power steering motors become worn, there have been many cases of peoples power steering going off but it then being fine when they turn the engine back on, you only have problems if its off permanently...like mine lol.

and I don't know much about the engine management issue!

Thanks for that. My engine management light has now gone off which is a bit weird. Reading the article on the power steering and think I'm gonna get the power steering issue checked out seems bit unsafe to drive knowing it could go at any minute. Thanks again.

Back