Technical number plate bulb?

Currently reading:
Technical number plate bulb?

Don't know, but a follow-up.

How do I trick the system to make the ECU think the number plate bulbs are working? The car is so much nicer in the dark without the light on the number plate.

It is not directly illegal, and I know it's an MOT fail, but any car from behind will see it anyway as it's reflecting the main beam. On the Uno I just unplugged the plug in the boot. :D

How do I trick the system to make the ECU think the number plate bulbs are working? The car is so much nicer in the dark without the light on the number plate.

It is not directly illegal, and I know it's an MOT fail, but any car from behind will see it anyway as it's reflecting the main beam. On the Uno I just unplugged the plug in the boot. :D

Errr it is ;)

Vehicle is not in a road worthy condition if the bulbs are not working.

I personally think the car looks crap with one or two number plate bulbs out, not better ;)

Errr it is ;)

It is? That's just a cat.1 score on the MOT over here. Cat.2 lets you fix the fault within one week (or two). Cat.3 and you won't get the keys to drive home - well you can tow it.

Vehicle is not in a road worthy condition if the bulbs are not working.

It's a number plate bulb, not a safety installation. Are you sure?

I personally think the car looks crap with one or two number plate bulbs out, not better ;)

:D Everything is relative.

- One bulb out looks crap.
- Two working bulbs are ok.
- No number plate bulbs at all look great!

you can wire in a resistor to fool the ecu into thinking that there is a bulb in place, can you not.

yes it is illegal to drive with no numper plate lights

Rules might be different in Norway maybe? Morty should know I guess... :eek:

It is? That's just a cat.1 score on the MOT over here. Cat.2 lets you fix the fault within one week (or two). Cat.3 and you won't get the keys to drive home - well you can tow it.

Rules might be different in Norway maybe? Morty should know I guess... :eek:

:yeahthat:

Forgot your not in UK :eek: :p

Over here its not allowed anyway (y)

Forgot your not in UK :eek: :p
I wouldn't drive a car there, as I'd propably have problems in roundabouts - going the "wrong" direction.

If I go sometime, I'd call one of you guys to get a sightseeing - riding shotgun where I'd normally sit behind the wheels...

Over here its not allowed anyway (y)
By law it's propably not allowed here either, but you don't go to jail. It's just not a severe fault. Cat.2 bulb failures are headlights (main and long) including wrong adjustment (angle), rear lights and brake lights.

• Thanks
Reactions: cos
In my case i have problem with left instalation bulb is ok but flat cable and electronic for left side is not working , will rcu turn off warning if i put cable from jack to the bulb directly

It's the same bulb as in the glove compartment. C5W

I hope I spared MEP from going to the car to disassemble the glove compartment. :p

DSC05668.jpg

Last edited:
It's the same bulb as in the glove compartment. C5W

I hope I spared MEP from going to the car to disassemble the glove compartment. :p

View attachment 86712

Fab. Just what I needed. Was in car and going to take interior bulb out and measure it but interior light cover didnt come off with the usual tug. Was going to get manual out and see how it comes off but dont need to now ta :) (y)

I was doing my fogs so I had to pull off this unit aswell, and thought about this old thread.

I think this ended pretty nice, a cool tinted look. You can even see the light inside (when voltage is up), but it doesn't light up the number plate very much - just what I wanted. (y)

numberplate_bulb_dim.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you're MOT legal, that's fine I guess. I remember having the discussion about the local legislation.

It does look cool I must admit.

MEP, did you ever install the LED's on the number plate bulbs?

I got LED bulbs on mine. They need to be the canbus ones so they don't show up as an error on the computer. Passed the mot just fine and they look way better than standard. I've noticed that the new bmws also use led number plate bulbs but they look really dim, dimmer than standard bulbs. Mine are nice and clear but its hard to picture them properly:

Back