General Roof Bars- Roof Bike Rack and Roof box PIC

Currently reading:
General Roof Bars- Roof Bike Rack and Roof box PIC

OldPopwithNewPop

Just in case anyone is interested!
There is just space for a 2nd bike rack as well.
3712637877_d0a520cc02.jpg

looking good.... I see you have no glass roof or opening sun roof like my sport 500. as yet theres no roof bars available, so your lucky!:)

looking good.... I see you have no glass roof or opening sun roof like my sport 500. as yet theres no roof bars available, so your lucky!:)

Hi Grungdog

I have the same problem with my Lounge but looking at the photo, the rack doesn't appear to be making contact where the glass roof is.

Would really be useful to fit one of the luggage units occasionally.

yes, but i recon the bar feet over lap the glass area on the front part... need a closer look to make sure... yep, be nice to put the bike on the roof and not in the back!

The roof bars are Thule, No one else dows them for the 500 (as far as i know)

Pic to show foot location, I believe the glass roof removes the black covering strip, so yes the foot would sit on the edge of the glass.

3713550637_b76fb6276b.jpg

The roof bars are Thule, No one else dows them for the 500 (as far as i know)

Pic to show foot location, I believe the glass roof removes the black covering strip, so yes the foot would sit on the edge of the glass.

3713550637_b76fb6276b.jpg

Yep - I agree, it does look like the foot would put pressure on the glass. Bad news as it probably means that if someone does come up with a lounge version, it's going to be silly money :(

Okey, so still no roof bars available for opening sun roof, but I really need to carry my bike with me.

Option 1.) Fit my mountain bike into the cinq -> This is not an option because then I will not have any room for passengers

Option 2.) Rear rack on a towbar -> I don't have towbar, so out of scope and also this would be a pretty expensive solution...

Option 3.) Buy or use a different car -> not an option at the moment...

Option 4.) It might be a stupid idea but what if I simply cut down the foot of the roof bar which sit on the glass? :confused: :bang:

As I mentioned I know that it might be a stupid idea but I would like to know what do you think about it, or if you have any better idea then share with us.

Attachments

• 3713550637_b76fb6276b.gif
    3713550637_b76fb6276b.gif
    98.2 KB · Views: 133
Cutting it sounds good to me... all you would be doing it applying the weight taken by the glass onto the frame.

Just a quick question though... as these bars + bike fittings come to around £300... surely a bike towbar attachement would be cheaper?

crabman

Just a quick question though... as these bars + bike fittings come to around £300... surely a bike towbar attachement would be cheaper?

crabman

Thanks crabman! (y)

The problem is that If I install a towbar then I have to do the full registration procedure again (the beauty of the Hungarian law) which would cost around 150-200 euro. In addition I need to buy the towbar 150-200 Euro + Bike carrier 50-120 Euro. :bang:

My preffered option with the roof bars cost around 250 Euro only which is also pretty expensive IMHO... :mad:

So as I mentioned before I don't have a towbar but I have a glass sunroof which means I really don't have to many options to carry my bike. Here comes the Thule ClipOn 9104 into the picture and it costs me just a little bit more than 110 euro!!
So what do you think about this?

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    738.8 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    674.9 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    558.2 KB · Views: 693
So as I mentioned before I don't have a towbar but I have a glass sunroof which means I really don't have to many options to carry my bike. Here comes the Thule ClipOn 9104 into the picture and it costs me just a little bit more than 110 euro!!
Off topic but are those Continental winter tyres on your car?

That's looking pretty good. Looks like space for another bike too.

Unfortunately not legal in the UK as you have it fitted to your car, because it obscures the lights and number plate. You would need to fix a board to the bike with lights and a number plate on, and find some way of plugging it in to the car. I'm sure some more knowledgeable person will be along soon to tell us how that's done...

That's looking pretty good. Looks like space for another bike too.

Actually it can carry 3 bikes

Unfortunately not legal in the UK as you have it fitted to your car, because it obscures the lights and number plate. You would need to fix a board to the bike with lights and a number plate on, and find some way of plugging it in to the car. I'm sure some more knowledgeable person will be along soon to tell us how that's done...

Thule has a solution for this problem: Thule Lightboard 976

th9760.jpg

Back