Technical Rust on 2007 Gp 130 sporting tailgate.

Currently reading:
Technical Rust on 2007 Gp 130 sporting tailgate.

Fatus Katus

Hi all.

Just a heads up to any other GP owners with water in the tailgate syndrome. Check your tailgates near the bump stops as mine is now covered in one corner with bubbling paint. Not good. New tailgate time i would have thought?

You are kidding right? Would you be happy to put up with that on a two year old car? Thats the kind of stuff a Delboy and Rodney outfit would try and get away with.:D

You are kidding right? Would you be happy to put up with that on a two year old car? Thats the kind of stuff a Delboy and Rodney outfit would try and get away with.:D

Ford did that to me on a 1 year old car and made a royal balls of the job then the fookers wouldn't put it right (one of the reasons i bought the GP)

make sure you make it clear to the dealership that you do not want a botched job...

Has it a Full Fiat service history? as if not they might use it against you as they do a "paint work and body check" or something along those lines at service if its not been done by them then you might have a fight on your hands...

So glad that i bit the bullet and decided to treat the inside of my tailgate with this

http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

(tries to look smug :eek: )

IMHO, the water in the tailgate is a stupid issue. My dealer thought it was the high level brake light. And despite ruining that job and denting the metal work using a screwdriver to pry it off that didnt work.

We sealed it with silicone around the light, and guess what, it still leaks. Now we have narrowed it to the fact they havnt sealed around the two halves of the boot shell. The seam all the way round is sealed with an adhesive in most cars, but on the GP it is not allowing water in when raining.

We have now tried filling the boot with a sealant and still no use.

How difficult would it have been for fiat to make the boot properly with the sealed seam? Would have saved all the hassles.

Ford did that to me on a 1 year old car and made a royal balls of the job then the fookers wouldn't put it right (one of the reasons i bought the GP)

make sure you make it clear to the dealership that you do not want a botched job...

Has it a Full Fiat service history? as if not they might use it against you as they do a "paint work and body check" or something along those lines at service if its not been done by them then you might have a fight on your hands...

So glad that i bit the bullet and decided to treat the inside of my tailgate with this

http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

(tries to look smug :eek: )

Hi Andy.

It's got the full Fiat Service History, as carried out by the dealer i got the car from. The last time i spoke to the DET there he assured me that it will never rust from the inside out due to the amount of wax injected into the bootlid. TBH he also said all the gp's leak due to the poor design of the boot. Something to do with the misplacement of the drain holes...

Just to add. I love my GP. This being the 9th Fiat i've had. Apart from a leaky factory sunroof seal on a Brava they have all been leak free. But rust on a car caused by a design flaw that Fiat are well aware of is simply pants imo. How soon before more folk have the same situation as me? (n)

Back