General flashing glow plug light

Currently reading:
General flashing glow plug light

20vturbo

righto,

picked up the doblo,loads of shiny new bits on it,and its already earning its place as my dog carrier,

1 minor thing wrong is the glow plug light flashes about 5 times after starting,no problems starting,plenty power and the trip computer says 47.4 mpg so seems to be running fine.

any ideas? it does have warranty so will be fixed,but i was wanting to know what it was.

cheers scott

Glow plug warning light flashes under two conditions, extreme cold, and when there is a fault in the system, so take it back and let the garage take a look.

probably one glow plug going down,u sharnt notice it now but when it gets colder it would show up.

Regards

Richie

I've had a flashing glowplug light for eighteen months now.

I had it checked and one of the plugs is dead. I was told it isn't urgent, and it got me through last winter without any problems at all, and I was out in all weathers.

I was quoted about £200 to change the set, so I haven't bothered.

I dare say it won't go on like this for ever though ;)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I don't doubt what you say, but the car seems to be running fine and it has just passed its MOT again: two new tyres and a small bulb (y)

I am in a dilemma about changing it, but if I postpone my decision, again, I'll get the plugs done. Unfortunately I can't do it myself, hence the expense.

It's due for a new cambelt/pump again next year too, plus whatever else it might need, so I'm balancing prospective costs for a car worth little, against prospective costs for a new car....:confused:

But thanks.

Just as easy (if not easier) than changing a spark plug.

There is one plug that is almost inaccessible on the Doblo. Cant remember which at the moment but a quick search will reveal glow plug threads on here.

I had one glow plug failed and replaced it, sure you can survive propably on only one but if you replace it you do get smoother running from cold, not that easy to do as you have to have a long shaft socket which also costs.

£200 seems a bit steep to me?
I changed all 4 glow plugs and plugs 3 and 4 are nice and easy but plugs 2 and 1 are a pig, 2 being a bit easier and 1 needed a few more swear words:bang: but after a couple of thrown spanners:cry: and a little less skin on your knuckles(y) it will go in..... you will need to remove the rocker cover (so new gasket needed), I also needed to disconnect the EGR.

£200! That's why I haven't had it done ;)

I really just want to get through to the new year when I hope to change it. I've spent a lot of money replacing bits over the past two years and frankly I'm fed up. There are a lot more expenses on the horizon too. A great car for a do-it-yourselfer, but not for someone who needs reliable, comfortable, roomy transport for as little money as possible, and can't even change a light bulb without swearing at the stupid design of the thing :mad:

I want a reliable car with the prospect of fixed costs (warranty) over the next few years and every time I throw another few hundred at the Doblo I am wasting money that could go towards something new.

Had my first ride in a new Fiesta the other day. They sing the praises of this car: the handling, the quality, the sheer perfection of it in it's segment. Well, the front passenger has a low, unsupportive seat, the noise at all speeds is terrible - road and engine (Diesel) - and the ride is just as harsh and uncomfortable as every other new small car. And it can bottom out on speed bumps: brilliant! And a very nasty dashboard too. I was very disappointed. I was interested because I could have one from work on a very attractive lease. Why do people think Fiestas are so great I now ask myself?

No doubt about it, cars (French ones at least) were far more comfortable and sensible in the 60s and 70s. And all cars then (except for the Mini etc.) had comfortable springing.

I blame Top Gear :D

Last edited:
Hi

sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question, I need to sort my glow plugs, also quted over £200 to have them changed, also apparently Fiat advise to change the glow plug relay at the same time, is this the large black relay on the bulkhead and do they normally cause problems?

Ive seen someone say you can test the glow plugs without removing them, how do you do this - Im an electrician so I understand continuity and have a multimeter

Thanks

Hi

sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question, I need to sort my glow plugs, also quted over £200 to have them changed, also apparently Fiat advise to change the glow plug relay at the same time, is this the large black relay on the bulkhead and do they normally cause problems?

Ive seen someone say you can test the glow plugs without removing them, how do you do this - Im an electrician so I understand continuity and have a multimeter

Thanks

I'm struggling to even find the glow plugs, are they under the egr valve? Might have to buy a Haynes manual at this rate

Ok Ive had a look at the E Learn CD, I hope someone can shed some light on this but attached are the pictures which I think show the location of the plugs.

Looks like you have to unplug the injectors to get to the glow plugs, someone who has done this before may be able to shed some light?

I'll add the pictures below

Attachments

• glow plug.jpg
    glow plug.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 264
The only purpose of the glow plugs is to help to start the engine. They ensure that the diesel will burn when the engine is still cold and the revs are low. When the engine runs they don't serve any purpose. A diesel engine is a self igniting engine: because of the high compression and pressure the temperature will be so high that the injected fuel will burn immediately. So if one glow plug fails on a 4 cylinder engine, it's not a big issue, the failing cylinder will reach working temperature in just a few cycles.

Changing glow plugs on Mrs_G's Doblo was a bed decision I made a few years ago.

Long Story Short: Going in for service. Winter. Van starts fine. Glowplug light flashes. Asked garage to change glowplugs while doing the service. 1 strips the thread in the head. Head off for refurb, £1000+ bill.

I'll be ignoring any flashing glowplug light from now on until the engine has difficulty starting.

Back