DSCI1556.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 4x4 Panda (Original)

Introduction

Here is Qing Qing, a rescued panda that came close to death
I completed the majority in less than a year and here she is now:

DSCI1556.JPG

Before she was a bit worse!

DSCI1559.JPG
Reactions: albyhf
You've done good work Si. Was this all the Fibreglass work?

This one needed some welding really, fibreglass has the benefit of sealing the damaged metal but it cant take any loads or flexing. For example the rust around the boot rubbers needed some welding as when you slammed the tailgate, it was just pushing the catch in. It had gone from one end to the other. :eek: Now its as solid as a rock :D Even put fibreglass over the welds to seal them better, with a load of waxoil behind too. Good for many years to come I am sure.

The rear quarter panels had some fibreglass repairs too, I was quite happy with the finish. Using a orbital sander really got the panel nice and flat and is like a mirror in places :D.

Only bodywork was repaired with fibreglass though, some rust around the front suspension I got the local garage in swansea to do. They did a very good job too, and only cost £80. I hope I can find somewhere like that here in gloucestershire :eek:

Thanks for the praise, its going to be a difficult choice whether to sell or not. I'll enjoy it for the moment though anyway, its all lovely and crisp with so many new parts :D

Si

Hi Pandamonius It looks fab. I love those Mk1 steelies. Did your 4x4 come off ebay? I seem to remember seeing a Mk1 4x4 on ebay wearing a couple of late 80s austin metro wheels.

Hi Pandamonius It looks fab. I love those Mk1 steelies. Did your 4x4 come off ebay? I seem to remember seeing a Mk1 4x4 on ebay wearing a couple of late 80s austin metro wheels.

Thanks for the compliment, it sounds like you're remembering the right one. I bought it off ebay just over a year ago now. And it did come with a metro wheel too. Not sure why, as all the tires including the metro one were ruined and flat. I think the guy just wanted them got rid of at the same time as sale. :eek:

I'm really feeling like keeping her now too. Its almost like driving a new car anyway! :slayer:

Si

NOoooooooooo!! Both my headlights are cracked. The only thing I can think it could have been is gritters on the motorway, but other than that, all their is left is vandalism seeing as its both that are broken and the grill is undamaged.

Now I have to find 2 mk1 headlights, and thats something you see every 3 or 4 years!! Oh man!!

AAAAANND this is on top of the engine being in bits. I am having some serious luck issues. It seems that something got into the engine and has dented the piston and cylinder head and then ruined the valve on its way out. I just cant think how its happened though :cry: So its a busy day, grinding valves tomorrow I expect.

Si

Sorry to hear about your problems Si, it should never happen to a Mk1 (n).
I really hope the headlamps were not damaged by vandals though, puts you always on your guard. I think Mandapanda had this sort of trouble recently. If the cracks aren't too bad some clear stickyback plastic should keep the damp out for now.

Sorry to hear about your problems Si, it should never happen to a Mk1 (n).
I really hope the headlamps were not damaged by vandals though, puts you always on your guard. I think Mandapanda had this sort of trouble recently. If the cracks aren't too bad some clear stickyback plastic should keep the damp out for now.

I think thats all I can do for the moment, it will be quite some time before I find a pair of mk1 headlights. It has been my pet fear since I had a prang in the abarth one. :( I think I will be putting rally mesh over them from now on.

At least it has not been fully broken though, otherwise the car is daylight bound! :eek:

On the topic of engine woes, discovered that it was probably a blown head gasket that was causing the noises and so the dents in the piston were probably an old injury. All set to go now anyhoo, head skimmed and valves ground today so now its just a case of putting her back together and hoping for the best. It is actually my first head gasket failure for the 7 years I have had a panda!! So this i a bit of a lesson to me.

Si

One common cause of that kind of damage is dropping something down the carb., small nut or washer, without realising it until you start it up. A good way to safeguard against this is to always have the choke out so the butterfly closes it off. Not saying that this is what has happened in your case necessarily.

Bring on the snow!! :devil: Just fitted a new clutch and mended the gear linkages...damn crappy ball joints were shot!! The fix might actually be better than fiats attempt anyway!!:eek:

Oh yeah and.... no chance I'm getting stuck with these bad ass tyres :slayer:
DSCI2552.JPG

Last edited:
Back