Scrappage allowance and how unfair it can be

Currently reading:
Scrappage allowance and how unfair it can be

Scorg

Established member
Hey all

As my car (the Brava) does not qualify for the scrappage allowance, as it isn't even 8 years old yet I wondered what sort of deal I could get from Uncle Arnolds for a new or used 500 with that as trade in.

Much to my shock all they would offer me is £250 trade in for the car (selling private is an option and going by autotrader I have seen anything between £800 and a few £1500 Brava's on a 2001 year) and the Eco bonus part of the insentive does not apply unless it has the governments scrappage included.

For one thing Fiat seem to be one of the few manufactures that arnt offering extra subsidies to none scrappage, Vauxhall still do the £1000 eco bonus even if your car doesnt qualify and i've seen £3000 bonus from Citroen on some C4 models.

But what really comes down to is how unfair this has made the trade in situation. And why wont fiat offer extra insentives ontop of the scrappage scheme to none qualifying cars, if they can lob £3000 off a Punto or Bravo for only £1000 of government money then surely it shouldnt make much difference to them in the end, since they all seem keen to gain the sales.

Oh I know, I dont know if it is worth doing private or not as it isnt a garentied. But still, you must see where I am going with this? person with a pre july 31st car gets £2k plus and fiat are giving away lots of extras too, but just not to the none qualifiers which Citroen are doing.

Maybe thats the case for Citroen, but its still a sore one for the likes of me.
No car supermarkets on the east coast of scotland im afraid, one in glasgow though but that is quite the trek.

But the whole scrappage thing is a sad joke anyway, as most of the environmental impact comes with the manufacture of a new car in the first place (and most new cars are heavier and no more fuel efficient than a 10 -20 year old anyway) it ma kes environmental sense to hang onto the old car for as long as possible. For once die hard petrolheads and the Green Party are in agreement!

Oh I know, I dont know if it is worth doing private or not as it isnt a garentied. But still, you must see where I am going with this? person with a pre july 31st car gets £2k plus and fiat are giving away lots of extras too, but just not to the none qualifiers which Citroen are doing.

Fiat are doing discounts on cars bought outside the Scrappage Scheme, but the trouble is youre interested in a 500 and theyre the least likely model to be discounted coz they were selling like mad even before the Scrappage deal came in.

Id just try and get the best deal possible from Fiat or someone like FiatSupersaver or DriveTheDeal and then sell the Brava privately. You'll get far more for it privately than you will by part ex'ing it & id guess as it's a 2001 model, it's still gonna get a decent bit of attention from buyers.

Last edited:
Fiat are doing discounts on cars bought outside the Scrappage Scheme, but the trouble is youre interested in a 500 and theyre the least likely model to be discounted coz they were selling like mad even before the Scrappage deal came in.

Id just try and get the best deal possible from Fiat or someone like FiatSupersaver or DriveTheDeal and then sell the Brava privately. You'll get far more for it privately than you will by part ex'ing it & id guess as it's a 2001 model, it's still gonna get a decent bit of attention from buyers.

Ahh yeah, there is discounts on the other models, had missed those as I had been concentrating on the 500.
Having to deal with Uncle Arnold up here makes things a bit different, they dont seem to touch Fiat finance at all and the iDrive deal fiat has isnt available, they have their own version and the pricing comes out different. For the worse at my guess (I never tried like for like, I added some extras onto it and it came out £10 a month more).

Thanks for those other sites, I shall check them out and see what comes from them.

I'd like to think I can get a fair bit more private for the Brava thats for sure. So I will look into my options with that.

Got to agree with fingers, even the new supposedly economical VW Polo Bluemotion weighs more 250kgs more than my 13 year old Punto 55 S. That's the difference in weight between a full car and a driver on his own!

If I added a smooth undertray, and added some aerodynamic and fluid dymanic tweaks to my car, with a lightweight small diesel engine, it would spank the lardy Polo in economy.

Back