Technical Red Circular Warning Sign on 1997 Fiat Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Red Circular Warning Sign on 1997 Fiat Punto

Jacqueline

Hi there,

Really don't know if anyone can help - but here goes (fingers crossed)!!

I have a Fiat Punto S 60 1997, tonight as I was driving home a red circular light appeared on the top right hand corner of my fuel gauge indicator.

A few moments later the car started shuddering and jerking. I pulled over and when the car was a little cooler, put some water into the radiator. However by the time I got home, a little under 1/4 of a mile, the car seemed to be overheating yet again and I noticed a small amount of water leaking.

Am aware it's a little vague and yes I am a woman, but could really do with some advice before the mechanic is called out.....:idea:

Hi there,

Really don't know if anyone can help - but here goes (fingers crossed)!!

I have a Fiat Punto S 60 1997, tonight as I was driving home a red circular light appeared on the top right hand corner of my fuel gauge indicator.

A few moments later the car started shuddering and jerking. I pulled over and when the car was a little cooler, put some water into the radiator. However by the time I got home, a little under 1/4 of a mile, the car seemed to be overheating yet again and I noticed a small amount of water leaking.

Am aware it's a little vague and yes I am a woman, but could really do with some advice before the mechanic is called out.....:idea:
if its loosing water it could just be a loose pipe,try to see if you can see where its coming from and if its overheating it could be thermostat

Hang in there Jacqueline, there will be help along soon i'm sure...very popular you know is this forum with some very helpful and knowledgeable people :D

Sadly i've never owned a Mk1 only a Mk11 so i'm not sure about the warning light you describe. But all I would say is..once the car is cool and you've got light to see, check your coolant level, oil level just to be sure (y)

You may also want to add on here if you where stationary in traffic or moving along normally, you know the sort of thing? Just to give an idea of what was happening at the time :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on please. (y)

The circular light indicates it's overheated (which you already know).

I would get it compression tested as the head gasket will probably have gone and need replaced.

The circular light indicates it's overheated (which you already know).

I would get it compression tested as the head gasket will probably have gone and need replaced.

Overheated unfortunately as mentioned.

Best way to see other signs of HG failure is, white deposits like mayonnaise in your coolant, if not on your oil cap, poor running, misfiring, overheating etc, and smells like exhaust fumes, from the coolant. Also sometimes pressure when you release the lid of the coolant (even when the car is cold) back pressure.

Back