Technical any truth??

Currently reading:
Technical any truth??

rfc1

since getting the car its been running fine,got a fairly long trip planned soon and a couple of guys have said these cars are quite bad for headgaskets going,any truth?

since getting the car its been running fine,got a fairly long trip planned soon and a couple of guys have said these cars are quite bad for headgaskets going,any truth?

No more than most other cars, make sure you keep it well serviced, have the water pump replaced at Cambelt swap time and ensure you keep the coolant (NOT just water!) topped up and the HG will be fine.

Mines been round Europe and done more than a couple jaunts from Scotland down to England and back with only a few hours rest in between. (y)

Yep same, mines done long journeys fully loaded, never had any trouble with h/gasket.

The only real trouble I have with mine is driving it slowly...
You gotta love the roar of the 20valve oh and fuel consumption.

Not sure what engine you have. But none of the Marea engines is in any way fragile. Our 1.8 Weekend has done London Edinburgh Stranraer Lincoln London without missing a beat. 2 years ago I lent it to a nephew who was visiting and with his family on board they put nearly 400 miles on it with no problems. They liked the car so much they bought a 1.8 HHR Estate when they went home, almost the same style and size size car, understeers a lot less!. Watching him work out roundabouts made this value for money:) The 1.6 weekend my son in law had for 2 years was bought as it was good deal when they needed one and ours had run like a sewing machine. He was delighted with it and how little it cost to keep and still misses it now. Always check all fluid levels trye pressures and condition of drive belts before a run like this.

I've had my 20v since 2001, been all over the place in it. I took it down through Austria to Slovenia a few years ago, thats about 850 miles each way, never missed a beat. I drove across Germany from Metz in France to Salzburg in Austria in one day without a problem.

Keep it serviced and check the fluid levels regularly and you'll be fine. I've never heard of a Marea with a failed HG.

cheers guys good to hear,ive had it on the ramps at my work checking it and im really surprised the condition underneath for a 10yrs old car,got a bit worried due to slight water from the exhaust at idle but have done over 200 miles and theres no water loss form expansion tank or signs of oil/water mix,i bought this as a runabout for 150 quid lol mot`d and taxed til august.ive checked it and honestly cant see it failing next mot,:)

its just people who dont know what thyere tlaking about giving advice who think all fiats have hg problems. and they dont.

just like everyone thinks the k series is the worst engine in the world, the problems can easily be eradicated.

you did the right think asking people actually in the know.

check levels every weekend and id service before any overly long journey but i like to have piece of mind and it costs nothing doing it myself

Back