Styling Spraying Calipers and rear drums

Currently reading:
Styling Spraying Calipers and rear drums

SlinK

Right, I wanted to know what sort of paints etc i would need to spray my calipers and read drums. Ive heard that its not worth spraying the rear drums in your own colour (i was thinking yellow) and just spray them black if anything. What are the procedures in spraying the calipers and also do you think its a good idea spraying them at all?

I found best way to do it is, wheel off, undo retaining clip & slide pin out, take out brake pads, now you can free the caliper from the disc. Use a wire brush to brush any loose rust off, get it smooth. Make sure all the dust is off the caliper, I have used Hammerite paint in the past, it gives a shiny hard wearing look. I would use a brush to apply it, not a spray can.

I just went onto the hammerite site and there seems to be many selections of different types of paint. Which one shall i get for the calipers and will the yellow dull or shiny?

I've still got the kit to do this and haven't gotten round to doing it yet!!

I went for the yellow (even though it will no doubt get dirty quicker), got the Foliatec one.

I'll get it done at some point!!

I don't know what the Foliatec caliper paint is like, if the Foliatec rear light tint spray is anything to go off then it will be pretty crappy. Tbh I would stick to recommendations, 2 of us in this post recommend Hammerite, that says it all.

Don't apply the paint on top of any rust, it'll look like half a job. Like i said, use a wire brush to remove any surface rust first, make sure then it's free from dust, then paint away

hammerite do some rust spray remover aswell if you wanna be lazy like me. Im hoping that will work and will give you the results in the next few weeks. Im also gona be colour coding my bumpers as they look ****e in the cheap plastic colour.

My alloys have arrived and its time to paint the calipers. I've got the paint etc but i didnt have enough cash to buy the Haynes book (+ my card was rejecting to pay for some reason). How difficult is it to actually remove the calipers off and what process does it require etc. If anyone could give me a little run down of the procedures i will be gratefull. Thanks in advance.

If your car is a 1.2 and has the basic brakes, very easy. You dont need a Haynes to do it. Just take the wheel off look around the caliper for two bolts undo them, there might be a clip on the suspension strut which needs to come off. To be honest when I painted mine I left them on the car.........much easier that way!! Unless you're spraying them??

Before painting them give them a clean with a wire brush- thats about it. Dont get paint on the discs (common sense) give them a few coats aswell. If youre using Hammerite which is the best stuff for it, it dries pretty quick so shouldnt take too long.

Thnx mate, im on a MK1 1.1 55sx but im guessing it should be the same. Yes i am painting not spraying. Did yours come out well when leaving them on the car and painting?

Yeah they did. I was amazed how well they turned out! Thought they were gonna look really cheap and nasty and obvious that they are painted with a brush, but they dont. Look loads better than they did before (y)

Cant see them on my pics :rolleyes: Typical

Back